Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpolson37

Meyer Lemon has sticky leaves - is this good?

dpolson37
13 years ago

Happy Winter everyone. I am new to growing my meyer lemon tree and not sure if this is normal behavior or some bug that has invaded. I bought my tree last spring at Lowes and kept it outside all summer. It produced about 10 lemons which finally ripened in the fall. I moved the potted tree in my garage till the temps got in the 30's and then brought it inside. It now is almost finished flowering and it appears to have tiny lemons growing. What I've noticed though is a sticky substance thicker than honey covering the leaves and even on the floor below. The leaves appear healthy and other than some mites the tree seems to be happy. Should I be concerned about the sticky leaves? Is this normal while the tree is blooming? Any suggestions? Here are two photos of the tree.

{{gwi:558816}}From Garden 2010

{{gwi:558817}}From Garden 2010

Comments (8)

• subtropix
    13 years ago

You have SCALE.--This is exactly why I leave my citrus in the garage for the whole winter (down into the 30's at the lowest). Know what? No scale--guess it's too cold for the critters.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Dpol..you said, "other than some mites, the tree appears to be happy."

Your ML looks great, but if you don't rid those mites, they'll kill your tree.

I agree with NJ regarding scale. Scale are brown bumps that can be scraped off. They hide on upper and lower leaves and stems, in-between stems.

The sticky residue is honeydew, secreted by scale, mealy or aphids. Honeydew attracts ants.
    Inspect your tree thoroughly to ID which insect might be on your ML.

I make a home-made insectide to rid and kill mites. In a 16oz or so sprayer bottle, water, 2-4 drops dish soap, lemon ride or juice, garlic and hot pepper. Liquids can be replaced for garlic, citrus rind and hot pepper.

There are different types of insecticides and oils. My favorite is Fish Emulsion, although many people like Neem Oil. Both are organic.
    One reason I prefer FE to Neem is, it's an organic fertilizer. When leaves are sprayed, it not only rids/kills scale, but works as a foliar feeding, too.

Keep an eye on your Meyer's, see how it does. Good luck, Toni

• dpolson37
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SCALE, drat! Where does that nastiness come from? I got that last year on one of my desert roses, but it was very visible on the leaves as round areas that I could remove. I see nothing on the lemon tree leaves except sticky goo.

Well, I promptly put the tree out in the garage to hopefully kill the scale and mites and give me time to cleanup. It's supposed to be near 40 this weekend so I will spray it down with a soap, water, neem oil mix and hope for the best.

Thanks for the unfortunate bad news.

• gloriadi
    9 years ago

I have a dwarf lemon tree since last spring, it is in my sunroom indoors. Completely in fragrant blooms about 2 weeks ago notices some of the leaves had a sticky substance on them. I washed them gently, with dish soap. Looken under side of the leaves there is no scale that is visable,. I am continuing to was off the leaves both sides that are sticky. Deaperate, please need suggestions. Thanks GA

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

GA, probably better to start your own new message thread, than dredging up this really, really old thread. But, to your question - please post photos of your tree. Close ups of the leaves and branches. You may have scale, or you may have other sucking insect infestations such as spider mites. I would continue to hose off the tree well (not just rinse, but hose off), you can use an insecticidal soap and you can also use Neem oil to smother them.

Patty S.

• elliottk21
    8 years ago

Help! My Mom passed away suddenly a couple of months ago. She's had the mini lemon trees (2) for years. They are in her sunroom all year long. She's gotten many lemons from these great little trees. My Dad had me come get them today - she would want me to have them. They are completely covered with a sticky sap that almost looks like water..... Very sticky water. They've never been outside & I don't see ANY bugs. I can't let these little trees die. What should I do? I've looked for Neem oil- but can't find it. I have to save my trees. PLEASE HELP!!!

• elliottk21
    8 years ago

Oh/ and I live in CT so not many citrus trees.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living