Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blossom drop enigma

Posted by chefricky 6b, south central NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 17:25

I have a improved meyer lemon tree that is 3+ yrs old. It is outdoors all spring and summer and wintered indoors with a south facing window.
Additionally, it is suplimented with a 4' 4 bulb t5 fixture that I have on a timer for an additional 6 hrs of light. Last Dec. 2012 I managed to harvest its first fruit. It was only 4 lemons but they were large and very tasty. Last winter, around the middle of Jan 2013, the tree was in a different location that did not have any natural sunlight and only the aformentioned light fixture over it. It started dropping leaves like crazy.
I moved it outdoors in the spring of 2013 and it grew very well while filling out new foliage and lots of new wood.
This past fall around the end on October I moved it indoors. It was showing lots of blossoms about to bloom when I did so. Since then, It bloomed at least a couple of hundred flowers. It was looking perfect and I hand polinated it with an artists brush. I was excited about seeing little lemons popping out. Now, all the flowers are falling off.
Other than that, The leaves are healthy, and I am keeping it fed with
Foliage Pro 9-3-6. And oh, it is in a 25 gal.container and it is 4.5 feet tall. Please give your opinions and sorry about the long post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blossom drop enigma

You got the pot part right, but we need pictures to make any assessments.

o
RE: Blossom drop enigma

I think you have had the tree in too large a pot to give large amounts of fruit on a tree that small. Potted citrus yields a little better if somewhat crowded. Plant them in a large pot and get mostly vegetative growth. I probably would not transfer now, but keep that in mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here