Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save my beautiful lemon tree!

Posted by just_looking (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 17:34

Hi there everyone, I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

I'm worried that my pretty lemon tree is dying. I have had it for over a year after it was given as a present to my mum from my other half, and thought I did a good job keeping it in great condition. Its about a foot and a half tall and the variety is a Four Seasons Lemon, and its currently living in London, UK.

The first winter and summer went by quite well, with it sitting on a south-facing window sill. I gave it feed ever so often and the plant seemed brilliantly healthy, giving one or two fruits and lots of bloom. It grew rapidly in the summer, and I cut back a very unbalanced long shoot. I also repotted it into a large ornate ceramic pot, using citrus compost. (I've read about 'drainage', but haven't fully understood whether its essential - my new pot has no holes at the bottom). It received a lot of good light in the summer, but towards the end, it started to drop its leaves and all the small fruit that had started to set.

Since then, as its too big for the window sill, I moved it to a table on the other side of the house, which has only some light, and is about 2 metres away from a radiator. My research has found that changes in environment means that the plant can drop its leaves, so I didn't panic. But at this stage, every leaf has dropped off the plant and all the tips of the branches are starting to brown. I'm worried that its something serious. There is one lemon left on it, about the size of a large lime. I water it only when it becomes quite dry, and the leaves haven't shown signs of strain before.

Sorry to have made this so long, but if anyone knows what it could be, I'd be very grateful for suggestions. On a final note, my other half said that if the lemon plant dies, then I will too, so I'm starting to get a bit desperate..

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save my beautiful lemon tree!

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 6, 08 at 18:19

You said: "I'm worried that its something serious"

The diagnosis is insufficient light. because " moved it to a table on the other side of the house, which has only some light, " perhaps also a water problem because "I've read about 'drainage', but haven't fully understood whether its essential - my new pot has no holes at the bottom"

Yes, drainage is essential.

Pots MUST have drainage holes to avoid excessively wet roots.

o

Hey there Jean,

Thanks a lot for your response. So are you suggesting that I should move it back to an area of good light and repot in a pot with drainage?

Any further help would be appreciated.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 22:51

Short answer, yes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here