Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
priya33

Can this (Meyer lemon?) be saved?

priya33
9 years ago

Hello!

We recently moved into a new home and I've discovered what I think is a Meyer lemon (based on a few fruits I have seen). The tree doesn't look so good to me. It's growing in what appears to be clay loam with poor drainage. It gets full sun. I fertilized twice (lightly) in the last two months with Dr. Earth's fruit tree fertilizer but it doesn't look any better to me.

Sorry for the picture quality. Hopefully you can make out that the tree is quite stunted with yellowing leaves.

I have several citrus trees in pots which have done well but I have no idea where to begin with this tree. Any suggestions? Better to remove the tree altogether?

Priya

Comments (4)

• priya33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wanted to mention that the fruit-covered branches on the right of the picture are actually coming from an adjacent Persian lime (in a container), not the tree in question.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Well, at first glance, it appears to be planted too deeply, and this may possibly be part of the problem, but I think it could if you can regulate the water, and remove more of the lawn near the tree. Also, be sure the tree isn't being hit by the lawn sprinklers. Too much water at the roots and wet trunk can promote both root rot and foot rot. I would seriously consider treating with AgriFos if you live in S. California (you don't mention where you are), to combat the rot, which is caused by phytophthora. 2 Tbsp. per gallon as a soil drench around the root zone, apply now and again in 4 weeks, and then a 3rd application in another 4 weeks. I would recommend much more fertilizer - Meyer lemons are pretty heavy feeders and organic fertilizer is just very weak. I would make sure you're using the proper NPK formulation as well. I think the product you're using is a 7-4-2 ratio which is is not too far off from 5-1-3 for citrus. John Merr likes a high N ratio, which makes sense. Frankly, I apply twice to three times the recommended amount of fertilizer to my Meyer, since it just seems to need it. But, my tree is mature and produces very heavily. Just make sure the root zone is not dry prior to applying any fertilizer. And lastly, check for any pests that might be attacking the tree, and making it struggle to thrive, and treat accordingly.

Patty S.

• priya33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thank you Patty, this is incredibly helpful! Thank you. I am indeed in Southern California (Los Angeles, a few miles off the coast). I think it is overly wet as you mentioned and we have been tinkering with the lawn sprinklers to severely reduce our water usage. We are first time homeowners so it's a steep learning curve! :) I'll try agriFos, less water and more aggressive fertilizer and see if I can rescue this tree. Thanks again!!

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

The tree appears to be planted a little too close to the wall, this is not going to give room for the branches. Also, with citrus, sometimes if the tree is neglected for too long, that can lead to long-term problems that will continue even if the tree is later given proper care. This can include shorter lifespan, lower fruit production, and tangled growth shape. Sometimes a citrus tree will continue to survive a long time but will just always be a little sickly and stunted.

The particular yellow color of the leaves suggests to me it may be an issue with the roots. It might even have something to do with being so close to the wall and the roots not having room, but I suspect bad clay-like soil has something to do with it.

As to what to do, there's no obvious answer. You could leave it, hope it gets better (but it probably will never get completely healthy). Or you could dig it out, and either replant it or plant a new one, with better soil, and a little more space from the wall. Removing it from the ground would be a terrible shock on the tree (all the leaves would turn yellow), but it would eventually recover, and may ultimately be for the best.

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia