Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisisme_gw

Hard to find citrus in Arizona?

thisisme
14 years ago

I saw these varieties in a Dave Wilson Video and wanted them. No one ships to Arizona.

Is there any source in Arizona that has them or is there some legal way to get them shipped here?

Seedless Kishu mandarin

This tiny mandarin, originally from China by way of Japan, is one of the first to ripen in the fall and holds on the tree well into the new year. Usually no bigger than a golf ball, they are like eating citrus candy. As the name implies, they are totally seedless, delicious, and super easy to peel. Because of their small size, they will probably never be grown commercially, so growing your own is the only way you can enjoy this gourmet treat. This year, for the first time, Seedless Kishu trees are readily available to the gardening public.

Owari Satsuma mandarin

Owari is the most common and best of the Satsuma mandarin selections. All Satsuma mandarins are seedless, have good, sweet flavor, and are very easy to peel. The harvest season for Owari in the inland valleys is late December. Satsuma mandarins do not hold well on the tree, but washed fruit will store well in the refrigerator.

Nordman Seedless Nagami kumquat

This is a new variety; the first trees should begin to appear in area nurseries this spring. As the name implies, the fruit is seedless, making it user-friendly whether for fresh consumption or for preserves. The fruits are 1 ½ to 2 inches long and ¾ on an inch in diameter. They frequently hang in clusters, making the tree quite ornamental. Like other kumquats, the fruits color up in January and hang through the summer.

Comments (15)

• john_bonzo
    14 years ago

Greenfield Citrus has Satsumas. I am not sure which variety, but Owari is the most common.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greenfield Citrus

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

Did you try FourWinds growers website? They have all the citruses that you are looking for and they ship.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes I tried FourWinds. They are out of state and they say the USDA will not allow them to ship to AZ.

• thisisme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John I contacted Greenfield Citrus nursery today and they do not have any of them.

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

thisisme, it looks like all websites outside AZ cannot ship because of the USDA regulations, I just checked out logees.com and a few others.
    Most local nurseries can special order citrus plants for you even though they do not carry them. I got my Kishu seedless mandarin and Gold Nugget mandarin special ordered through a local nursery. I just had to wait 10 days for it to arrive. My local Home Depot was willing to special order too, I just did not explore it further as I was anyway placing a big order through my local nursery.
    Nordmann seedless nagami was selling at our local Costco this week (in time for the Chinese New Year - we have a huge Asian population here). Owari Satsuma is always available at our local Home Depot and Lowes. So, you can check these places.
    If not, you can post your question on the citrus grower forum and someone will help you out. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Grower Forum Link

• thisisme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ashlysf, I will check out the other forum. I was at both Lowes and Home Depot last week looking for soil components for my blueberries. While at each store I checked all of their trees and found none of the citrus on my list.

• az_pamperedchef
    12 years ago

Thisisme, I realize this is an old post, but I'm interested in a seedless Kishu mandarin also. I'm wondering if you were ever able to find a local source for it?

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Pampered, have you tried Treeland Nurseries? They're in Mesa.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Treeland Nurseries

• bada_bing
    12 years ago

Kishu trees in large quantities were at Costco in February.
    I saw Kishus at Home depot about the same time.
    Mesquite Valley growers (Tucson) had Kishu available in dwarf, semi-dwarf and standard back then too. Kishu was a very popular and numerous tree this spring in Arizona.

I haven't looked lately, but if you can't find one now I would guess they will show up in the small late summer deliveries and for sure next february in the big spring deliveries.

It is kind of aggravating that Arizona individuals can't buy citrus by mail order from four winds but the local big box outlets bring in truckloads of four winds citrus trees for inventory.

• tantanman
    11 years ago

Bada_bing;
    They get a permit and have the trees inspected and sprayed before they can be loaded and shipped. There are a many hundreds in a truck. The economics don't work on the retail level.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Plus they dont trust us idiot consumers:-)

11 years ago

Bada-Bing, inter-state shipping out of a quarantine state and into a quarantine state, especially going out of a state that now has active HLB is going to be virtually impossible. And blaze, it has nothing to do with trusting us as consumers, but has to do with protecting a multi-billion dollar commercial citrus industry in both states. Glad to know there are growers in AZ now that are growing the Seedless Kishu, it's a superb mandarin.

Patty S.

• az_pamperedchef
    11 years ago

Well I found my Kishu Mandarin this past week! I was at Costco (Avondale) on Friday and they had a huge shipment of citrus trees. Quite a few Kishu, so I snatched one right up. Now to worry on planting it, since I was in a car accident 2 weeks ago and very limited in my gardening abilities! However, I did want everyone locally to know that the citrus were available. Costco even had an Australian Finger Lime. Not sure what type of citrus it is, but figured someone would be interested. 5 gallon containers for $19.

11 years ago

Very good! See if you can find the name of the grower on the pot label, or ask your Costco what grower they buy from. That way, you can stay in contact with them to know when they will be sending citrus to the various Costcos or other retail outlets. Australian Finger Lime is its own weird citrus cultivar, but very fun to have in the yard. It has very pretty foliage - tiny little leaves. Very thorny, and grows some very, very interesting looking fruits that can be used in cooking like a lime. Kind of the rage in many high end gourmet restaurants right now. And sorry to hear you were in a car accident, my gosh. Glad you're okay and healing. I would wait to plant anyway, until your weather cools off some, anyway. Keep them in an afternoon shady spot, so the don't cook in their black plastic pots.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UCR Citrus Variety Collections: Australian Finger Lime