Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Improved Meyer lemonade

Posted by jpaz none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 19:05

I am sure this has been discussed already in several prior threads, but here is a "refresher":

I am a diabetic who dearly loves lemonade. Traditional lemonade mixes incorporate quite a bit of (usually) cane sugar - a real problem for me..

Here is a lemonade recipe (not mine) that I find suitable for me that is quick and easy to make and that is coincidentally the best lemonade I have ever tasted:

Squeeze, by hand, one improved Meyer lemon into a drinking glass with ice cubes.

Add one teaspoon of Agave nectar

Fill the glass with water and stir

.......... sip and enjoy

Notes:

You don't have to be diabetic to enjoy this heavenly concoction.

The Agave nectar is advertised as having a lower glycemic index than conventional sweeteners so the maker claims it won't spike your blood sugar (but remember it is still high fructose sugar - so use it accordingly). CAVEAT: of course, if you are diabetic you should check with your nutritionist/physician to be sure it is OK to consume this mix if you have any qualms.

You can adjust the tartness by varying the amount of Agave nectar you add - one teaspoon is just right for me.

JP

This post was edited by jpaz on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 23:30

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Improved Meyer lemonade

Thanks James! Im going to give it a try.

o

James, I'm an RN, and I make Meyer lemonade all the time without sugar. It is just so much healthier this way. Only I use either Stevia or Splenda as my sweetener. So, almost no sugar at all, save for the small amount in the lemon juice. But, Agave nectar is also an excellent choice. I call it my "411 Information Lemonade". 4 parts water, 1 part Meyer lemon juice, and supposedly 1 part sweetener, but I usually reduce the sweetener, as that's too sweet for me. So, as I make up large amounts (it goes so fast here, I have to make large amounts), I use 8 cups water, 2 cups lemon juice and about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups sweetener. We make up many batches of this for our big 4th of July party when we have the family over. And yes, for those with health issues such as diabetes, always check with your doctor or dietician about using any artificial sweetener of any kind in your diet.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by jpaz none (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 0:00

Thank you for that input Patty. I want to eliminate sugar of any kind from my lemonade because of the health benefits you describe. I made up some without using any sugar and I liked it very much -- I have a high acidic tolerance anyway and I found the tartness much to my liking.

JP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here