Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary

this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2 years.

My Sweetlee tangerine trees just turned 2 years old today. The seeds sprouted on 1-7-2013. They were a 1/2 inch tall and I removed the closed sprouting chamber from inside my furnace heating ducts and put them under one of my bucket lights. This is tree #3. I have planted her in the ground on the south side of the house. She is contained between the house an garage concrete walls from north to south and a timber wall to the east. The west end is super hard clay from the Teays river bank from before the last ice age.The 3200 gallon enclosure holds tree #3 and #4 at about 8 feet apart.
{{gwi:2124218}}

Below is my Sweetlee #4

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg1117324421798.html

Comments (59)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You could be correct. My fruit was marketed as a tangerine and the store had every fruit marked as its exact cultivar. If it is a Hamlin or a 'Parson Brown that would be fine. The only draw back is it takes longer to fruit from seed. The trees are in an 8 foot deep pit and have room to grow another 6 to 8 feet. I still saw that write up on the SWEETLEE by name. If I get good fruit early before the sun is turned off for the winter I'll be in good shape.

What I find so interesting is I drafted up total plans for my growing setup and have found that what will work is not even close to my original plans. You really have to grow plant to their liking. It is also important to grow the most forgiving plants when one is growing 3 zones north of their habitat. That rules out kumquats. They grow too slow to battle insects or recover from such attacks

Thanks Cory, Patty

Steve

PS I would have been tickled pink to of grown Changsha seeds but could not find any.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Meyer lemon has put on close to 6 feet of twig growth and is about to set fruit

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Meyer lemons coming along STRONG, LOL.

No to very little visible changes in the sweetlee tangerine trees. I will post their pictures later.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nagami is dead. all 3 PT,s survived with leaves

Unless the graft took and survived under the Teflon and paint cover she is dead. The trunk below and above are blackish.

-------------------------------

Meiwa still lives.

PT in the can lives. 2 Trunks on meiwa live.

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hey, I am glad the Meiwa has survived....a good omen. I think you are supposed to grow a Meiwa after all. Would you like me to send you a tiny Fukushu Kumquat when it warms up? It is only a few inches tall...seems to be very slow growing as they are almost a year old. The seeds were from fruit from my little tree. It made a lot of fruit for a tiny tree. It is a pretty tree.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Here's a picture. You can have the largest one. I also have a few Moro Blood Oranges if you would like one. They are slightly larger.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Cory I would like to have a Fukushu kumquat very much but I don't have the facilities to handle a blood orange. I tried and all 8 of them died by late the next winter.

Thanks

I have hardy chicago fig tree rooting s I could send your way If they root. I don' have anything else that you would probably want. They are unproven and very juvenile.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Good. I will send one when it gets a little warmer. Thanks for the fig offer, but I have one already.

Cory

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

I would love a blood orange Cory if u like. My Valencia orange loves me its blooming like crazy.

Trace

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Sure Trace. They are just little yet but it will probably grow great with you. I will send it when it gets warmer. It will be a Moro.

Cory

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Yay hugs thank you for Compliment I try Cory I like to think I got it down good but when i think I got it right something hurts my trees.

Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My latest video on my tropical greenhous

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

y Sweetlee tangerine #2 in its 30 gallon container is showing new growth.

The 2 limbs from the lower right are from #4 all other visible is from #2. This is the slowest of my sweetlee trees to grow this spring

Sweetlee #4 is showing the most aggressive growth. It has 57 shoots from 5 inches to 12 inches. They probably average about 8 inches. That adds up to just under 40 feet of twig growth in 2015. I will be unable to get a good picture of this tree until the greenhouse comes down.

Sweetlee #3 is 6 feet 2 inches tall

Seed grown and planted in the ground on the south side of my basement

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update on on Meyer lemon#2

Bowing anyone. Strrrrrrrrick. perfect game 300 and won

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Funny, they do look like bowling pins :>)

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The latest and only lemon left on my Meyer lemon tree.

Steve

• User
    8 years ago

Steve,

I am curious what soil are you using in your greenhouse? Also do you water by hand or irrigate? Do you open it for rain or water by hose etc.

Best,

Mick

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The trees that are planted in the ground are in a mix of about 1/3 totally rotted plant mater and 2/3 garden dirt from the yard., The trees in the containers are in soil of 2/3 totally rotted plant mater and 1/3 garden dirt from the yard. Through out the winter I mulch with shredded leaves. As the leave rot the earth worm move the nutrients down into the root zone. This whole planting medium is on top of a logs and sick compost pile about 6 feet deep. As this slowly rots the trees drop as they grow and will not out grow the greenhouse until they are 13 feet tall. The greenhouse roof was 7 feet from the pile at the beginning and was 9 feet this spring.

The soil I use for my container plants is much too heavy and anyone else should use the 5-1-1 mix or equivalent.

I water by hand with milk jugs. The GH has no doors and I enter through a window.

My wife hands me the water through this window. The GH is sealed tight and cannot be opened with out disassembling it. Heating and cooling was done with a fan in my window to exchange air.

My GH is down

Hardy Chicago figs in a 30 gallon. She is 14 months old from cutting

Tangerine tree on each side of HC fig trees

Last of 4 HC fig in 30 gallon. All 4 figs were rooted from cuttings march 2014

1 of 2 meyer lemon on garage roof

Tangerine tree in a 30 gallon container

All my trees are out of the greenhouse and the GH Ha s been disassembled for the summer

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

hi sgreer

Thanks for the like and the compliment. The only thing I have that isn't scraps is the fertilizer.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

3 new additions to the family. A gift fro Cory on the bugs forum & all things citrus.

fukushu kumquat from seed #!

seed grown fukushu kumquat tree #2

Meiwa grafted to Kuharske Citrange rootstock

All 3 trees are just begining to put out new growth

Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b4OHTZJ9YE

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Meiwa has flowers

main trunk tipped left

upper and lower pictures right side up

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A new addition to my citrus collection.

New Zealand lemonade tree. A gift from Pip on the citrus forum.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My latest picture of sweetlee#3

2 years 6 months 3 weeks from seed sprout and 8 feet tall. The thorns have ceased above node 102. She may be at maturity and flower this spring of 2016

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

That would be nice. It will be nice to see what it is.

Cory

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

An update on my 2 seed grown fukushu kumquat trees

the double trunk Fukushu#2 from seed to left of yardstick shows 12 inches.

The 4 trunk Fukushu#1 from seed shows 10 inches tall

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My 2 seed grown fukushu kumquat trees have graduated up to their own 7 gallon buckets in 7-3-1 mix at 20 pounds / 7 gallons.

Both trees' roots filled their 1 gallon bottomless containers and were separated from the beets bucket and move as seen above.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Current pictures of sweet citrus trees

top view of Fukushu kumquat tree #1

Fukushu kumquat tree #1

Fukushu #2 top half

Fukushu #2 bottom half

the pair of seed grown Fukushu kumquat trees.

four winds grafted lemonade tree grafted on top secret rootstock

Meiwa kumquat grafted on Kuharske Citrange.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Under lights and inside for the winter

Fukushu kumquat #1 inside bucket light system

under lamp awaiting its bucket light

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Meyer lemon tree get root pruned, trimmed, then planted outside in ground.

tree removed from a 30 gallon container and trimed to about a 20 gallon root ball.

Into the hole with a 6 inch rise above the surrounding.

Watered well n to its hole. No feed since mid July to prevent growth this fall/winter.

When completed its triple layer glass all sides but north wall. This will keep it healthy and warm enough to burst out in growth next March/April.

I noticed to day that it has sprouted out with better than 30 sprouts with what looks like a very aggressive growth period. I will have to add another story to this, add a soil heater, and start a feeding program.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Meyer lemon in basement.

bursting out with new growth. got to learn how to use my black Friday Nikon S7000 camera.

• calamondindave
    8 years ago

Interesting setup you have going on with those grow buckets. I've enjoyed reading your posts. What are you using for reflection inside the buckets? Aluminum foil? Pretty amazing that you get so many citrus growing outside happily in OH.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I use Kroger brand aluminum foil in the 200 ft roll 1/3 the cost of name brand. I also use aluminum spaghetti/lasagna party trays. They are stif and hold up well on the flat bottoms of the buckets.

Lots of glass

inside greenhouse in 1-7-15
    6 foot wide 9 foot tall 14 foot long against south side of house.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

4 lemons on New Zealand lemonade tree

2 good pics out of 4

• pip313
    8 years ago

So is the basement Meyer or outdoor Meyer the Cuban shaddock?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Both were near dead and they both sent out shoot at what could be the graft line but I could clearly see that this was a rooted cutting so I let the stronger undamaged shoots replace the damage shoots. I never heard of rooted cuttings for rootstock. What is even more strange is that I was going to put out a request for seed from a Cuban Shaddock for growing rootstock and you offered seed for the US897 and 2 out of 4 Kuharske cuttings had rooted. I also got a root stock sucker from the lemonade tree and it had trifoliate leaves. There is a real advantage to have rootstock with trifoliate leave. Sucker can't hide. I also got my organic farm boss rooting a lot of cutting from my Cuban shaddock. Perhaps we will start selling specific citrus trees in our open air markets soon. They will be the ones no one caries. Lemonade tree, Meiwa kumquat, Fukushu kumquat and even the Cuban shaddock itself.

• pip313
    8 years ago

I'd not make too many Cuban shaddock's, kinda garbage trees. I'm sure your fruit was good because you said it was but I'm also sure that the space would be better used for another variety. Heck I have a Lisbon and wish I never bought it because the space would be better off used for a better variety.

or in other words there is a reason there are no Cuban shaddock orchards.

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked pip313
  • pip313
    8 years ago

It's well known four winds uses cuttings.

im guessing it's for two reasons

1. They sell trees meant for containers so tap roots would be a bad thing

2. There is no need to detect and remove off type plants when they are all cuttings.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My fruit wasn't good but OK. It was better than any Meyer from the market. It tasted of potential. It was picked to soon. I like bland/insipid fruit. I don't like the strong sweet or sour taste of the most modern fruits these days. The main drag of the Cuban Shadock is the 50+ seeds they contain. There skins are very thick and they take a wile to peal. On the positive side the white rind tasted pleasant. I did not eat the green skin. I will agree that the Cuban Shaddock has no place on the grocers shelves. I will top graft the C.S. that is in the ground. The tree the fruit came from will not go into the ground.

• pip313
    8 years ago

What do you plan on grafting it over to? I'm willing to share budwood if I have something you want but are your skills up to par? And do you use bleach water to sterilize or alcohol? Bleach is far superior.

are you saying both Meyers are shaddocks?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Both Meyers are shaddocks. I will see how the rootstock shaddock does outside. I have a Meiwa, Fukushu, and lemonade tree to get scion wood. i will see if my 2 friends can graft, if not I could send the root stock seedling to you and you will be able to use them. I only need a few trees to back up those that go in ground outside. Can you tell me what the bleach is used for. I don't understand this sterilize process.

• pip313
    8 years ago

To clean the budwood, rootstock, and knife of mold and bacteria. Think surgery.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

would you use pur bleach or mix it with water, ratio

• pip313
    8 years ago

Dilute it 10 to 1. I think.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

All 3 of my tangerine trees are still outside. The 2 in ground trees will stay out for the rest of their lives. The 30 gallon tree will stay out side all year. None of them are under glass or any other protection and seem to be doing fine. I was alway careful to protect them before first frost. I missed that chance a while ago.

I will start grafting my root stocks when things slow down after Christmas.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

To end this years 2015 thread and start a new 2016 thread I have few videos and a link the the final still images. The link first. I have a series of picture under the heading 12-27-2015.

Check my entry of 12-27-2015

The videos so far

Cuban Shaddock tree video

New Zealand lemonade tree video

Meiwa kumquat tree video

I have 2 videos to add tomorrow of out door citrus trees. It is dark now

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Steve, the Cuban Shadddock video link doesn't work.

Cory

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Cory I think it is fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    8 years ago

Steve,

Nice to see they are coming along so well! Interesting to see their growth over the year.

Cory

poncirusguy6b452xx thanked cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My last 3 videos of this years sweet citrus