Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jumpinjoe_gw

Meyer in mid bloom!

jumpinjoe
10 years ago

My little meyer blooming in the middle of a san diego winter!

Comments (11)

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Jumpinjoe I don't know if I should be more jealous of your beautiful lemon tree or the spectacular sunshine that's going on there, Thankyou for reminding me what sunshine looks like and don't the flowers smell fantastic, Good job

• mr_z1
    10 years ago

Welcome to California, where we literally pay mucho dinero in taxes just for the weather. I live in south Orange County (which I feel has the best weather in all of Cali) and my washington navel tree is in full flush in the beginning of winter! I just had a recent flush in Fall. Outlook for this week is the low 80s to high 70s.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

'Tis the season ;-)
    My Meyer (indoors, I'm in northern California) just opened its first bloom of the season today.

Josh

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Very nice, Joe. Many of my citrus are in bloom right now, as are many of my neighbors. Makes for a very pleasant early morning walk! And Mr. Z, I live in N. San Diego county about 6 miles from the ocean. I agree, this is the best weather area for all of California. In fact, the city of Vista has been named, "city with the best weather in the USA". I grew up in Orange County (Huntington Beach), and I prefer to be just a little bit away from the coast. We miss most of the coastal marine layer in the spring, which is great!

Patty S.

• jumpinjoe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah im about 6 miles from the beach as well just further south. Otay to be exact

• mr_z1
    10 years ago

Patty, Vista is great! My friend lives there and I visit almost every month. The difference between San Diego through LA is not that great so we definitely are in the prime of California.

Look at us gawking about the great weather, I think we scared off the rest of the posters in other states!

• tantanman
    10 years ago

My Chandler pomelo used to bloom in Dec. Last time was 09. Too cold anymore. This is the first time my low chill peaches have not been blooming in Jan., but we have half the month left and I think one will bloom by then. We have had plenty of chill hours and Nov. was the coldest or second coldest on record.

The interesting thing about true lemons and limes is they do not respond to cold vs warm seasons. They are tropicals, and respond to dry vs wet seasons. Meyer lemons being hybrids are some-what like a split personality.

• insteng
    10 years ago

"Look at us gawking about the great weather, I think we scared off the rest of the posters in other states!"

The only problem you may have good weather but you pay a price with the politics in California. I like to visit there but would not want to live there. Though it would be nice to be able to grow things year around.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

6 miles from the beach...

under 6 miles of snow...

I know which one I'd rather do, you guys only pay a couple of percentages more in state income tax than we do, but your property taxes are much lower on existing home.

I'd take California over my fly-over state any day...

• jakkom
    10 years ago

I'm actually really surprised some of the CA posters are only showing buds? My Meyers have been
    fruiting like crazy up in the SF Bay Area. I was picking a 3-gallon bucket every couple of weeks since
    early December, but the big harvest is just about to arrive, see the photos below.

That's OK, insteng, it's too crowded here in Northern CA anyway, LOL. Come visit, spend your vacation
    $$$ enjoying our January 70-degree weather, and then fly home.

I was born/raised in Chicago. Now THAT was politics. I thought everybody got paid for voting [grin]!

I took these photos last year, but right now my three trees look exactly the same. I'm already
    contacting friends and family telling them to get ready for multiple 5-gallon bucketsful of Meyers.
    Should be ready to start picking this weekend; cool nights are slowing things down a little. All three
    Meyers are about 12-14 yrs old.

Front yard:
    {{gwi:559469}}

Back Yard tree #2:
    {{gwi:559470}}

Back Yard tree #3. This one's almost unique; it sprouted from a neighbor's Meyer, so it's a true bush
    shape. Close to 10' around and 8' tall:
    {{gwi:559472}}

• mr_z1
    10 years ago

"The only problem you may have good weather but you pay a price with the politics in California. I like to visit there but would not want to live there. Though it would be nice to be able to grow things year around. "

Problems are taxes and high property values, politics is a problem in general in every state you go.

jkom51, you have epic meyer trees. Those are gorgeous!

This post was edited by Mr.Z on Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 20:56

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012