Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aslan89_gw

Kishu Mandarin In Texas? Looking to Purchase

aslan89
11 years ago

Does anyone have a lead on a Kishu Mandarin tree in Texas? It's possible it is only available in California, I really don't know a whole lot about the tree but I tried some recently and would really love to add one to my orchard if possible. The vendor must be from Texas though as we can't have it shipped from out of state.

Comments (29)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just as an update, I did actually find a vendor in Texas but it is Wholesale only! They do have Kishu Mandarin listed as available though so they must be out there in Texas somewhere.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Give them a call and ask if they'll sell to someone at retail (you may have to go there to pick up), or, if not, simply ask what retailers they ship to that are near you.

Patty S.

• rob75
    11 years ago

Aslan, send me your email address, I might be able to help you depending on where you are located. You are correct though, they are available in Texas.

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

If your anywhere near Houston the Urban Harvest Fruit Tree Sale is this weekend and they have it. It's first come first serve so get there early and know what your getting and where to get it before you go. I plan getting a Kishu there also along with a few other fruits.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still no luck so far! I'll be in Corpus Christi this weekend and I heard back from the wholesale place that Gil Nursery might have them. Other than that I'm out of luck. I did see several places in Houston that have them but do not ship them which is the problem because I live in Harlingen Texas.

Just in case I can't find one would anyone be will to ship me a plant? I'd even be willing to ship someone a box with return label if it gets me a Kishu Mandarin :)

• Express128
    11 years ago

I've been looking for a Kishu Mandarin since spring of last year, you're right there is a wholesaler who grows them down south. I was able to get a hold of him to see if he ships any of his fruit to the Dallas area but no luck. Most of the retail/nurseries north and around Dallas/Ft. Worth use Saxon Becnel & Sons. (who don't grow kishu).. But if I can find someone who is willing to ship them, i'll let you know.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I saw one or two nurseries in the Houston area that carry the kishu mandarin but thats just too far for me to travel and they don't ship. I live in deep south Texas it would be a 5+ hour drive for me to get there.

I'll be in Corpus tomorrow though and for the next few days so I'm planning on checking a few places there. I already contacted one nursery who orders from Brazo's wholesale but they won't have them for a couple weeks I was told. Too bad I don't have family in Houston so I could have them pick one up for me lol

• humbletexan
    11 years ago

I am looking for a Kishu in Houston too. Can you email me the info on the nurseries?

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lets see, the one I can recall right now is Caldwell nursery
    http://www.caldwellhort.com/html/citrus.html

• blueboy1977
    11 years ago

You can check JRN Nursery also. I believe they have a huge variety of citrus for the Houston area.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

It's been available at the Master Gardener fruit tree sales, but it seems that most of them were yesterday! They usually space them a week or two apart. I suggest you call Treesearch Farms and see if they have any. They don't sell to the public but can tell you who has them. You could try Caldwell's - I was there yesterday and think they had a couple, or Buchanan's in the Heights, or Wabash Feed Store. I was in JRN the other day (great place!) and don't remember seeing any there.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

The Arbor Gate in Tomball sells citrus from Treesearch Farms. I don't know if they have Kishu this year, but they sold it two years ago - that's where I purchased mine.

• kquat
    11 years ago

you could buy Seedless Kishu from Mr John Panzarella: $35 for 3gallon pot. Just type his name on Google.

• rob75
    11 years ago

Be sure if you get a tree that is from the Houston area that it is suitable to your local soil/water. Sometimes that can be an issue. Most of the trees grafted in this area are on trifoliate or a hybrid of it. There are alot of members here that can elaborate on this.

• kingwood
    11 years ago

I purchased two Kishu last year at RCW Nursery in north Houston. It is located near the beltway....can't remember the FM road. They also had cocktail grapefruit that is worth adding to your collection if you like super sweet.

• Express128
    11 years ago

Anyone know a nursery in texas willing to ship citrus? I've contacted Froberg Nursery a few times, they said they're willing to work with me but they never call back.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I don't know of any, but have you thought about an Algerian Clementine? They have a really long harvest period, it can go as long as June.

RCW might ship to you. It's worth it to call and ask them. They're really good.

Here is a link that might be useful: RCW

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ended up finding one at a nursery in Corpus Christi which was from the wholesaler I had located in Houston (Brazo's). Unfortunately it is on trifoliate and I live in deep south Texas where we should use sour orange. It doesn't really matter in my case as I'm planning on keeping it potted up in Al's gritty mix anyway.

It was rather sorry looking when I first got it; missing most of its leaves when I found it in the clearance section, but after the transplant to al's gritty mix I can see new growth popping out everywhere and it even kept the three little fruit it had on it.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I was going to ask if you found one! I'm glad you did. When it recovers, you might look for someone who can graft some of it onto the sour orange.

BTW, I found some sour oranges at a gourmet store, and am going to make orange marmalade with it. These are the Seville oranges.

I suggest you remove the little fruit that it has on it. It really, really needs to spend this year growing roots and strong branches. It has a long way to go to recover from neglect, and needs all of its energy to go into that. It is recommended for citrus anyway, not to let them produce fruit the first year for just that reason. Yes, I know it's hard, I've had to do it with 7 citrus so far, and am planting 3 or 4 more this year.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I know, and I keep walking up to it and observing the tree every time I go outside with the intention of pulling the three little fruits off but I just can't bring myself to do it yet!

Haha in my defense though, I placed it in Al's gritty mix, and have been watering with some superthrive and the whole tree is about to explode with growth. You can see tiny little green dots all over where its about to leaf out.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is a close up of one stem, sorry it's so blurry but I was using my phone and it can't do macro images and the weird shape makes them turn horizontal. Anyway, you can see the little green meristems popping out even though its blurry.

• humbletexan
    11 years ago

Thanks guys! I found a Kishu tree tucked away in the citrus section of JRN. It was loaded with flowers and smells delightful. I think it became my gateway plant. I also picked up a cocktail apple and persimmon as well.

• tony6
    11 years ago

Hello plantoverkat and kingwood, I am interesting on Kishu Manderine and I need scion for grafting to my cocktail tree. If you don't might to share a couple small branches. Please, give me an email for pick up. I leave in Missouri City, TX. Thank you very much in advance.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Tony, again, you have to be careful asking for citrus budwood from different areas in Texas. Your best bet is to order certified clean budwood from Citrus A&M University.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas A&M Citrus Budwood Certification Program

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The citrus center doesn't carry Kishu budwood, I actually checked with them. However I noticed that your city Tony is quite close to Houston and I know several places in and around Houston carry Kishu Mandarin trees so you could probably find a tree there. You might even try the wholsale place I found (Brazo's) and maybe they will give you a couple cuttings.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a quick update to show some progress on my Kishu Mandarin tree in the gritty mix. Lots of new growth and buds :)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lots of buds on the upper branches :)

• Jamie Goodwin
    7 years ago

Logees sells great kishu mandarins. Here's mine after potting up from a 4" pot 4 months ago and is gettin we growth everywhere and flowers! I was so happy I just went and got another one.