Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sooty mold on Orange tree

Posted by leubafr z8/9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 21:44

This past summer I saw white flies on my orange tree. They did not seem to bother the tree, but as the oranges finished this fall, I noticed black sooty mold on the leaves and the fruit. It is easily washed off the fruit but my tree is 15' tall. How do I wash off this soot and prevent this from happening again?

Anyone can you help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sooty mold on Orange tree

As you seem to be indicating, sooty mold is, indeed, an aftereffect of the whiteflies. It grows on their honeydew excrement. So whitefly control will prevent further sooty mold. As for removing existing mold, a light horticultural spray oil will loosen it, and it will curl up. Then a blast from a hose will remove it. If this is an outdoor tree that could experience frost, I'd not use oil in winter. Wait until after any danger of frost.

o

Thank you so much for your response. This is indeed a tree that grows outside in the ground. It produced over 1000 oranges this year and I do not want anything to rob it of it's production value. All of my friends and family have reaped the rewards of this wonderful tree.

Thanks again,

Leubafr

o

I still have the sooty mold (since I was afraid of frost) and there are so many white flies swarming around I can hardly get close to check the tree. This is an OUTDOOR tree that is about 15'high. What do I do? It is now blooming and setting fruit along with growing new growth. Very heavy new growth.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 8, 08 at 16:10

Do as was suggested earlier,
"As for removing existing mold, a light horticultural spray oil will loosen it, and it will curl up. Then a blast from a hose will remove it."

o

Thanks again, will do. Didn't want to do anything that would keep my blooms from setting.

o

we have sooty black stuff on the top of some of the oranges in our tree, but donot see any white flies flying around...

o

Some scale insects and aphids are other culprits in the production of honeydew. The whole key to getting rid of the sooty mold is to locate and identify the insect(s) that are producing the honeydew.

o

Should I spray during bloom or wate untill after the fruit sets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here