Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious 'Orange'

Posted by popdo Ohio! (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 3, 12 at 21:44

"Once upon a time there was a orange in my refrigerator, of a unknown store variety. Twas not navel nor would it have seeds if. These seeds I planted upon soil and grew one "orange plant". Tis this tale I shall tell."

Anyways, as you read above, I found a orange in my refrigerator two years ago and grew a orange tree from this orange. Now, however I'm very suspicious if it even is a orange, as it's starting to produce thorns and I never knew the brand the orange that bore it belonged. The orange tree has sat in a windowsill during all seasons twice so I'm also concerned if I'm harming it.

Right now it's not the time to take pictures, but could anyone atleast give a idea at what it could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious 'Orange'

Also here's a description as best as I can during this time:

It's about a foot and a half tall wit a single small 8' branch coming off it.
It has dark green leaves and tiny thorns ( really long ones on the branch though. ) coming out of the intersections between the leaves and the stem. I've counted about 35 leaves.

o

Citrus started from seed are often very thorny.

o

do you remember if the orange had lots of seeds? or if the rind was thin? easy or hard to peel?

o

@houstontexas123

I believe it was rather easy to peel, with a thin rind.

Kind-a seedy, not very.

o
RE: Mysterious 'Orange''

Picture:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

sounds like a Valencia, they have a few seeds, thin skin, sweet and juicy.

o

Thanks for the help! Am I doing everything I should with the plant? The soil is a mix of random soils...

o

It looks a little hungry; I would fertilize it regularly at low concentrations, or at least 4 times per year with a good citrus fert according to label directions. It is a small tree; spraying with a good foliar food (I like Bayer Bayfolan forte) once or twice a month helps with micronutrient needs.

o

@Johnmerr

Thanks for the advice! Is it okay at the kind-of awkward bent angle it is in right now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here