Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

An abandoned Ponderosa tree. Please take this journey with me Pic

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

Hello everyone:

This is a Ponderosa Tree that I got from someone that saved it from the grips of death about 2 weeks ago. His neighbor was going to just put it outdoors to freeze to death.

It has already had a touch of frost, was loaded with pest's, had very yellow and pale colored leaves and dead branches from what seemed was from rotted roots.

It is planted in peat and was fed MG all summer.

As it seems, it has lot's of lost leaves, still some but not as many pale color leaves, is planted in my most favorite mix" peat moss", right, and has damage from pest's. I plan on a change of soilless mix come spring.

Please watch as I hopefully transform this poor thing into something better than when I received it. It is already showing signs of greening, busting out in blooms, and has perked up quite a bit and I no longer see any pest.

Here is what I have done thus far:

1:I have a special wooden dowel stick for this tree to measure for moisture.

2:I fed it with Foliage Pro and vinegar as soon as I got it.

3: I washed each leaf off with milky water and then sprayed it down with Neem Oil.

4: I flushed the soil out with rain water

5: I trimmed off the dead branches.

6: I put it in a full sunny window.

Now the wait continues. I will keep you posted if it should decline or get better. I hope it does well. What a waste it would be to see it die due to neglect.

{{gwi:560955}}

{{gwi:560957}}

{{gwi:560959}}

{{gwi:560961}}

{{gwi:560964}}

{{gwi:560968}}

I would love my friends here to take this journey of recovery with me:-)

MIke

Comments (84)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Aha, you are a high schooler....! Well that's a good reason to be on campus! ;)
    I could certainly detect your youthful spirit, but I assumed you were early 20's.
    School should be relaxed, entertaining, and of course instructional. The most intelligent
    animals are those that tend to engage in extensive play....otters, raccoons, dolphins, cats.....

Josh

• call_me_wizfire
    13 years ago

OH THE INSTRUCTION, sigh i cannot use any of my inside jokes on youse guys (i am descended from Michiganders and Canadians), none of you would get them, some of my teachers are a LITTLE (giggles quietly) crazy. Off on a tangent-- i saw something on CNN about dolphins recognizing themselves in mirrors, and caring about their appearance, i thought that it was amazing. "So long and thanks for all the fish" not all of you will get that
    I blame my punnieness on my father, he says that if you hold puns in once you think of them, it can cause cancer >.> i have an earful of that. The older he gets, the less sense the puns make, i think his brain is too old, and now it makes connections when there aren't any...sigh. but after 6th grade, i find that i cannot resist popping out the old pun, though, hopefully not during "instruction"

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everyone! Here it is already 2 weeks since I last took pictures and I though I would show you it's progress after taking pictures today.

Can you see a big difference. I am so anxious for all the flowers to start opening along with all my work mates! Lol. Like fireworks ready to go off is what we feel like we are waiting for...

I am happy to share this with all of you and thank you for your continued ride with me and support.

{{gwi:560976}}

{{gwi:560979}}

{{gwi:3867}}

{{gwi:3869}}

{{gwi:560985}}

Have a great night friends and a wonderful Friday!

Mike

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

THIS IS ANDREW THAT YOU ALL KNOW AND LOVE w/ a new account :) not andrew78, the other one
    lookin great mike, the roots look really sweet.
    im not suprised it released thousands of flower buds, after what its been through, my meyer shot out at least 20 from shipping, and it wasnt a foot tall then

13 years ago

Hey, Mike, I can't believe how fast this thing has shot out new leaves and blooms! crazy!
    I'm itching to fertilize my Ponderosa....but I need to wait a few more days....

I have a question: What is that stake doing in there???
    Oh, and I think I notice some oxalis in the last pic....yank that stuff outta there ;)
    That invasive weed gets in all my outdoor containers....

Thanks for posting! Along for the ride! ;)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Andrew! By nature, these trees, "ponderosa" in particular are very prolific in the flowering department, especially if they are very happy! That is why I knew Josh just had to have one.
    These trees never disappoint with flowering and fruiting, and many times together several times a year.
    What I love about them is that you do not have to wait a whole year or only 2 seasons to whiff the aroma of citrus blossoms with this one.
    If you do not have one of these, you must. The fruit are also a bit more sweeter than a regular lemon.
    They can also handle stree very well as well as lower light levels.
    I keep the rest of my 6 of them to the sides of my sunny windows, while the orange trees and the grapefruit get first class seating in front of the windows.

I just love the ponderosa lemon tree.:-)

Josh, you know what? I never even gave that a thought. It was there when I got it. Strange. Guess what I am going to do? I can read your thoughts.
    Yes those darn weeds! Seems like everytime I pull them out, another replaces it. I think once the re-pot is done, you can bye bye to them..The only saving grace for one of them is if the one pops a 4 leaf...lol

Mike

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

no i do not have a ponderosa, but there on my list after the variegated. i have had some of those fruits and yes, and while not as sweet as meyer, are still nice and sweet

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Josh,
    looks like we should add Eagle Eye to your list of nic names. ;-) lol...

tree is looking good Mike!
    JoJo

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very NICE update photos Mike...tree is doing tremendously! I can't get over all the blooms! Great job my friend!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Jojo and Nancy!!!

This is such a fantastic journey fo this tree. If only it knew how many were rooting for her/him depending on the name chosen..lol

Andrew: You have to get one, again I say...llool

Jojo...If I wcould send a tree your way from here, I would since I know that everything you grow does just as well as ours do now. You have come a LONG way my friend!:-)

Nancy: If I could send ALL my plants your way I would..They could all use a nice sunny warm vacation in your yard..lol
    You back yard and hands certainly have a way about your plants! Just beautiful all the time.

What mixes do you all grow in by the way? Is it the gritty mix? That will be the frosting on the cake once the warm weather moves in for this baby.

Glad to spend this time with you all:-)

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Mike! Thanks! I think you better not send your plants out my way just yet...its going to be a cool week. We're in the low 30's tonight and a couple more 30's this week too... I want my FL weather back. Can't wait till March :o)

I grow almost 100% of my container plants in the gritty mix. Its a personal choice because I can keep them in that mix for a few years. I have nothing against the 5-1-1, I just prefer the gritty mix for some reason.

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

update time?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nancy! What is up with all the cold weather in Florida this year? I think Siberia is really punishing us. I can't wait until April:0)

I too am switching most of my plants into the gritty even though a few are in the 5.1.1 mix. I love being able to fertilize all winter without a one worry about the mix staying too wet, too long, or accumulated salts. You right, it also allows me to keep my plants in the same pot without fear of compaction, for years.

Andrew: It's time..lol

It smells good at my desk. It is busting out in blooms, but what is weird is that only 4-5 open at once, the they die off as a few more open. I thought they were suppose to open all at once since the buds were all about the same size.
    Yes that white stuff is snow outside the window with another 15 inches to come tomorrow! Please bring back spring yesterday.

Thank you everyone

{{gwi:560988}}

{{gwi:560990}}

13 years ago

Oh, Mike, I bet that smells so nice!
    Thanks for the update....I haven't had much time at the Citrus Forum, but I wanted to say Hey!

Josh

• axtrader
    13 years ago

Mike,

Do you have anything under those pots to catch(or carry away) the excess water? Al recommends 10-15% extra water to flush any accumulated salts.... Or do you end up mopping the floor every time you water?

Keep up the good work... Looks great! Dan

• buylady
    13 years ago

WOW what a plant Mike, well i gotta get in on name this precious plant---how bout Angel Baby====blooms are white like Angels and they are all our babies right Mike?? lol hope your doing OK!?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh!! It smells unbelievable...There is so many blossoms on it, that if I even move the pot slighty, some will fall off causing a chain reaction knocking of others..lol
    Yes, I noticed you haven't been around lately and I hope all is ok.
    We shall chat later..:-)
    Thanks man.

Buylady!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at this. You decided to hop on board. I am very happy to have you and see your nice comments. Thank you thank you. Someday, yours will be just as big and bright because you have learned the secret to keeping them happy.:-)

I like Angel baby! Now lets' see if my friends do too..lol

Axtrader: Welcome and a first time I meet you. Nice to meet you. The planst are sitting on plastic covers to protect the floor that allws the water to drain below the container. I love them. Actually they are oversized acrylic saucers..

What I can do since the plants are on that type of floor is sprinkle water all over then to keep them clean, then I mop up.:-)

Mike..;-)

13 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm doing just fine, Mike.
    Exercising, eating healthy and flavorful meals, working in the yard, and working at school....
    I'm also trying to complete a short story, which has kept me busy from dawn to dusk, and beyond....

Side note: I think Axtrader is often at the Fig Forum.

Josh

• buylady
    13 years ago

hi Mikeeee an all, well i had to stick my two sence in LOL..how are you Mike??

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Josh: Some day I would love to see that short story..It must me very good !;-)
    My mother LOVES your poems..
    Keeping busy doing wholesome things along with eating right should make us out live our trees by ceturies..lol
    Good job.

Buylady: How are you? I am much better although I still have to go for more tests..:-(..I hope this head pain goes away soon. I hope it is just some sort of sinus infection if anything..Thank you for asking.:-)

I am very upset though about my treee!!!!!!!!! Someone knocked into it and must of knocked half the flowers off. Oh well, that is life...At least it is in full sun and loving it...

Mike

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

Hey Mike!

I'm late to the party as usual, but what a lovely lemon tree! Sorry someone knocked into it...Don't you just hate it when some people do not show the same respect to your plants as you do? I know I sure do. In fact, there is an unnamed member of my household who knocks one of my plants off the window and doesn't have the courtesy to pick it up. Drives me nuts!

Christopher

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anymore names?

We are getting down to the wire folks...;-)

By the way, would you beleive that it is almost past blooming all ready?!!!!

Where did time do? I took more pics today and I will post them later. I am sooooooo happy it has come as far as it did with all your help, encouragement and suggestions!

Thanks you everyone

Mike

• buylady
    13 years ago

Hey Hi ya Mike, i no i'm counting the days LOL...hey my neem oil is so thick i can't get it out of the bottle what should i do w/it..how much vinegar to apply??

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

(hey everyone, its been a LOOOONG time since bein here (a week or so :), the snow brought down phone/internet lines...and AT&T is lazy, but now im back)
    Hey mike, when your co-workers/friends vote on names, will you include the explanation of why we think it should be named that? some of them are puns or references (like Hoss) and maybe not everyone will get them right away.
    TEN MORE DAYS EVERYONE!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buylady! Hello!@:-)

Yes, counting the days until I can put my babies back outside again. Thank God no pests this year:-)
    I think the spring equinox was last week or so. So that means instead of the sun just being a flashlight by day, it will actually start feeling more like a heat lamp.
    All my plants are already responding and I too..lol

To soften the oil, just rest the entire sealed shut bottle in a warm dish or run under hot water for a few minutes. You should be able to shake it well once the oil inside the bottle warms a bit.

Use 1 capful of vinegar per gallon of water, ok?
    I put a capful in my watering can everytime I water and I think it holds about 3/4 of a gallon.

Stay warm and happy

Andrew: Great idea. I will have to mention that..lol

How are your trees coming along? I bet you can't wait to order more trees..

Chris: I am SOOOO soory man! I did not even see your comment. Wow and to see you here is quite suprising. Thank you for your comments. When do you suppose all this snow will melt away? I would love to set our trees out early if the groundhog is correct..lol
    Do you have any citrus yet? Not sure if you'll stop by here again, but if so, thank you.

Mike

13 years ago

Hey, Mike!

The Spring Equinox will be March 20th, at 7:21pm, Eastern Time.

Josh

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

ALl my remaining plants are great, not just citrus. The majority of them are all under various sky-lights. (they better be doing great, seeing as how often i have to clamber onto the roof and clear snow off those sky-lights) My house is sadly back again to one citrus, my nice hardy meyer lemon. An un-named member of my household (thanks bro) was told to pour out some water from a small leak in corner of room out of a pot. He decided the length from the sunroom to the kitchen sink was to long, so he poured it in an orange rooted cutting, a mini orange rooted cutting, a home grafted meyer lemon cutting grafted onto rooted trifoliate orange cutting, and my origional meyer. The tar residue (from when we tried to fix leak) in the water murdered all my citrus but my meyer. ARGHGHGHARHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i won't rant about my brothers laziness here though)
    Hopefully, gurneys will send the 3 citrus i ordered late this month, though there is a strong chance that i won't get them. sigh. I miss my mini orange, it had one mini orange started.
    I got the grafted meyer cutting, and the orange rooted cutting from a nieghbor whose uncle died and left him many plants 5 days ago, and this happened 4 days ago. I would have excitedly told you guys, a couple of days ago, but my internet was down

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

oh, lol mike. Did you mean the winter equinox? that was mid december (for all who don't know, the winter equinox is the shortest day of the year, and its after that the days begin to get longer. lol, ya josh, that seemed funny to me too

13 years ago

Hey, Andrew! Welcome back after the storm!

Just for the sake of clarification on the matter:
    The Solstices are June and December - these are the longest and shortest days of Sunlight.
    Solstice refers to the point when the "sun stands still."

The Equinoxes are March and September - these are the days when the day and night are equal - "equal night."

That said....I know what ya'll meant! ;-)

Josh

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

thanks for the explanation Josh, I didnt really know what they meant. Either way, every day that passes gets a bit longer and hopefully warmer. as I say that, we are supposed to get up to 10 more inches of snow wednesday and lows back in the negatives. :(

mike

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oops, my bad..lol I knew that.

I did hear though on the weather station that plants are triggered some time in Feb though, a few days ago,to start growing all of a sudden and I can't exactlty remember what is was?

Also, trees and plants as such are also triggered on a certain week, to all of a sudden start shutting down in September, around the 3rd week to prpare for fall. My friends can swear they can smell the odors of summer up until about the third week of September, then overnight, the smell of fall fills the air.

I haven't a clue now what the weather man were talking about, but it has something to do with length of day and the suns angle.

I do know that it wasn't until a week ago when I could feel the warmth of the sun through my windows or windshield while for weeks I could feel no warmth at all since the end of December.

I guess my plants know, since all of a sudden they are putting out all kinds of new growth, and my jades are starting to show color again, as if they were asleep, then just woke up.

I suppose the sunburn factor as of last week was a 2, and now a 3, when before that it was a 0...lol

Hey Josh and Andrew!

Mike

• sweetorange
    13 years ago

Dear Mike:
    Very interested in your great recovery of your abandoned "Ponderosa Lemon".
    Please look at the picture at the end of the first post:
    "I would love my friends here to take this journey of recovery with me:-)"
    Please advise if you know what the insect is inside the leaf; where it looks like a brown stripe on the (left on the left at the bottom of the photo).
    And a leaf right in the center of the photo at the bottom that looks like a round hole (insects inside). The same insect chews ragged looking edges on the leaf (starts with a stripe, then round, then ragged edges). The insects will finally eat the whole leaf.
    They are too small to see with the naked eye. A ragged edge with appear slightly brown with a beige and then it will be green. Looking through a microscope they look like they are white with round back.
    They start doing damage before you see any damage (brown or yellow). You have to look through a microscope.
    Presently, I have two (2) Ponderosa Lemons, two (2) Meyer Lemons, Pink Variegated Eureka Lemon, lime, and a sweet orange. They all have the ragged leaves. My plants are extremely healthy looking. It is the leaf damage I am worried about.
    You last photos look as if the ragged edges on the leaves are looking better. I have researched and I cannot find the insect. My understanding is you are currently using neam oil. I have not tried the neam oil. My plants are in the house.
    One suggestion for watering in the house I will contribute is: Restaurant Bus Tub, CD Metal Rack as base for plants (for draining purposes). I pour the water from the bus tub into a bucket and dispose of the water on outside plants.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sweetorange: I can't see the bug your talking about. I am so sorry.

Even if I did, I wouldn't know since I have no idea what this tree went through before I saved it.

Thank you for your suggestions and comments too:-)

Mike

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

Five more days Mike!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And counting buddy!

Let me know when the day has arrived..;-)

Mike

• sweetorange
    13 years ago

Dear Mike:
    Thank You. You need very strong magnification to see the insects (cannot see with the naked eye). They are the underside of the leaf.
    I continue on researching. I have read some lengthy research from Asia. My conclusion was to make a solution of whole milk and liquid molasses. The molasses will kill the insect if it is a worm and the milk will kill a virus. When it warms up a little I will spray the leaves with fish emulsion and seaweed extract.
    Very frightening to apply the molasses and milk (just did one tree). It has been two (2) days and the tree appears to be fine. When I look at one of the little holes in a leaf the little insects appear not to have moved (insects look glued down and dead). We will see in a week or so.
    My Ponderosa Trees came from a conservatory built by Lord and Burnham Architects in 1924 (planted my trees from a seed). The mother tree is at least eighty (80) years old. The lemons are very large on the old tree.
    My trees are ten (10) years old. It is important to take of trees. The botanical gardens in my town have ask me to give them at least one of my trees (probably will just one). They have tried unsuccessfully to start new trees from cuttings from the old tree. They are concerned their tree might die.
    I was feeling somewhat desperate when I posted. Your tree looked so bad when you got it and now it looks wonderful. My trees are still looking good. I could see the same damage on your tree that I had noticed on some of the leaves on mine.
    You might be interested to watch a video on the radio program "Science Friday". It shows a citrus leave lighted up and the pattern of venation. http://www.sciencefriday.com/videos/watch/10277
    Really appreciate your reply and thank you.
    Sincerely,
    Sweetorange

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

Three more days!
    Also, is it time for a new update? Been a while, the little guy is starting to grow on me

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So it comes down to:

1: Rosa
    2: Hoss
    3: Patience

Lets's see what happens! Do we have any nominations here? Which do you like the best?

Mike:-)

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

TOMMORROW!!!!!
    you gonna include the resons why, like hoss from the ponderosa ranch?

Its been a while, i had to get a new modem >.

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Sweet Orange..could the insets be Leaf Miners?
    Do they leave a trail on the leaf?

Mike, although all names are nice, I vote for Hoss. It has meaning, 'even though it is masculine.' lol.

Andrew, hope you're feeling better.
    The reason Hoss was chosen is, have you ever seen the show Bonanza? 'BTW, ironically, as I was reading Pugs thread, Bonanzo is on tv at this very moment. ' lol..An omen?

Anyway, since Mike's tree is a 'Ponderosa,' and 'Hoss' lives on a ranch called 'Ponderosa,' (from the show Bonanaza) it fits. You see? lol.

Of course, like Josh said, Ponderosa is feminine, 'Rosa' would make sense, too.

Mike, we should name all our plants..lol..Toni
    PS..your Ponderosa has come a long way, doing beautiful. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The verdict is in.

Everyone here at work has voted for .............................Rosa!

Now I shall have to read up thread and find out who named it..lol

Hi Toni and Andrew along with everyone else! This has been a fantastic journey and I gotta tell you quite an unbelievable experience for me to see it come so far thanks for all of your support, company and advice. I couldn't ask for better friends here on this forums.

Toni: Thank you for coming back and always your kind and wonderful comments. It means a lot to me from you too. Here is a couple of pics taken today. It has already past bloom. Where does time go?

Thank you so very much:-)

{{gwi:560992}}

{{gwi:560995}}

{{gwi:560997}}

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

Sad...
    The pics look great. You need to update this thread when you get all those little baby lemons.
    Yes, toni, im great.
    Andrew

13 years ago

Awesome update, Mike!

I'm hoping to see flowers or new growth on mine pretty soon....
    The weather's taken a turn for the cold out here - windy and rainy for a week.

I looked through the Thread, but I couldn't find the person who contributed "Rosa."
    I think it's a perfect name, though.

Josh

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Great name!
    Mike the tree looks wonderful! It's definitely happy in your care!

Well...
    It looks like Laura named it. ;-)

* Posted by loveplants2 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 18, 11 at 0:26

Hello Everyone!!!!

I just wanted to say that "she" looks fabulous!!! You have done a great job nursing "her" back to health Mike!!!

Now....for my name nomination......"Rosa"

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Mike. Your set up looks fantastic.
    I love your window..

Andrew, glad you're well. Good news, all the way around..

And a Winner, too. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jojo and Toni!

Thanks so much..I really appreciate the comments and I will always give credit to fine people like you. You have all had an instrumental influence on my success and Al, well, he got the ball rolling...:-)

Josh: Thank you too. I bet yours will be loaded with flowers sooner than you think, especially that "Ponderosa". or should I say "Hum, does that tree even have a name..?lol

Yes Josh, Laura is the winner and I will notify her as soon as possible. Thanks Jojo for that and Andrew, you will be getting an e-mail from me soon.

If you guys can help me figure out if it is normal to get blossoms on meyer lemon tree trunks, that would be great!

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Mike, your trunk is growing flowers??? Are you serious? Anything is possible, but I've never heard, read or saw a lemon tree trunk with blooms..lol..Weird.
    Do you have a close-up pic of this tree? Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Toni!

Didn't you see the thread I started,lol? Ok, I will let that get by since you have not had your coffee yet!:-)

Thank you Toni. Take a look.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers on the trunk to my lemon tree....

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone,,,

Did I hear...correctly? "ROSA" did she "WIN"

Yea....I haven't been over here for a few days...and honsetly i thought another had the name in the "bag" LOL...

I am so thrilled that my name as chosen...Thank's to JOJO post i found it out after reading her post up thread...That makes me very happy everyone!!!

Ok...now...the winner...2 roundtrip tickets to the "Ponderosa ranch" LOL...oh..really..i know...To the islands to pick out my own "rosa" LOL...You guys and gals are the best!!! This was so much fum!!!...I have never won anything....The only time i do "win"...is when i am working and then it comes down to me or the passenger to turn off their electronic devices....i usually win then...LOL... But this takes the cake!!! I tell them...(Fereral offense...or turn it off!! LOL...) I usually win...or back to the gate!!! Then I still win!!!
    They are off of the plane!!! LOL>..

sorry didn't want to go there..LOL...

I am thrilled...Thanks everyone who voted for "Rosa"...

Thanks Mike.... : )

Laura in VB

• birdsnblooms
    13 years ago

Mike, WOW, flowers growing off the trunks is strange. Is that citrus, grafted? If so, instead of root stock it's got buds..lol..much better than stock.

Have you phoned any citrus nurseries to ask if this is common? Toni