Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the difference sweet lemon VS. sweet lime

Posted by poncirusguy none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 22:25

I have been reading up on medicinal type foods and one mentioned is the sweet lemon. Is there a difference between sweet lemons and sweet limes. I have also read a book "Eat right for your blood type". It emphasizes the importance inpeople of my blood type eating grapefruits and lemons but says I should stay away from oranges. " kumquats are neutral". I have eaten a handful of mill-sweet lemons and I really liked them. It was like drinking low acid sugar free lemon juice. I can find no information on limes being antibiotic in nature. If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the difference sweet lemon VS. sweet lime

The thing to remember is what language you are speaking/reading. In English lemon indicates yellow; and lime indicates green. In Spanish they are all limon (lemon). Truth is most "limes", if left on the tree will become yellow.

o

Steve, they are different cultivars. I would look on the UC Riverside Citrus Collection site and read up on the sweet lemon and sweet lime cultivars. And, throw out that book. It is utter nonsense.

Patty S. (RN)

o

Lemon and lime juice has high citric acid and that kills bacteria but they are not "antibiotic" in the sense of penicillin or things like that. I agree with Patty on the book.

Old home remedy works for sore throat. Lemon juice, honey, a little rum or whiskey and a little water gently heated.

o

My wife read the book to me and I told her that we are a hodge podge of traveling genics that this book could not apply to us. Thanks for your support on my side especially with the attached (RN) Patti.

Tantanman I caught a cold on vacation and my brother in law introduced me to the HOT TODDY. Whether it worked on not, it sure went down nice.

o

Tantanman is correct, no citrus has "antibiotic" qualities. Citric acid, being very acid by nature, has some degree of bacteriostatic/bateriocidal qualities, but it is not an antibiotic by any stretch.

And, you appear to be married to a very smart lady :-) One of the reasons why this book is complete hogwash astutely pointed out by your wife.

Now, that being said, citrus continually are falling into the "superfood" category, and I am a firm believer in eating all those superfoods every day if possible. A short (but certainly not exhaustive) list of those foods would be:

Citrus
Coffee (yup)
Berries (blueberry, raspberry, blackberries, lingonberries, marionberries, Goji berries, etc.)
Onions
Garlic
Cruciferous veggies (broccoli, rabe, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc.)
Nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc. if you're not allergic. Peanuts are not nuts, btw, they are legumes)
Beans (especially black beans)
Grapes (black & red, skin included)
Red Wine (for above reasons)
Hemp seed/Quinoa/Chia seeds
Kale
Cacao (very dark chocolate)
Pomegranates
Avocados
Tomatoes
Olive Oil

So, incorporate all these foods into your diet on a daily/weekly basis, along with lots of water and you'll be doing yourself a great health service.

Patty S.

o

Patti Thanks for the superfoods list. I am growing all of the listed but the Cacao, Pomegranates, Avocados, or olives. We are growing these for their super food qualities. I started with the planting of meiwa kumquat seed and 3 fig trees. I have started my cold spring plants yesterday in the citrus box. We are trying to move forward in research and practice in a timely manor.

Steve

Putting the global warming aside my latest on citrus click on link below

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaASoeaBErs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here