Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tavimh

Choosing a citrus for scented flowers

tavimh
9 years ago

I'm looking for a citrus that will add diversity to my collection and really fragrant blossoms. Fruit is great, but I think I enjoy the flowers even more. I like trees that are vigorous and tolerant (this is why I have a lisbon lemon instead of a meyer), and I don't mind thorns. Here in Colorado my trees spend late spring/summer/early fall outside in a greenhouse and come in for the winter with supplemental lighting.

I have a nagami kumquat and a lisbon lemon. They are doing well so far, and lemon blossoms smell amazing. The Kumquat is nice too, but not so strongly scented. I'm planning on adding a kieffer lime and a bergamot sour orange. I'm looking for one more variety to round out and finish my collection. I can't be amassing lots of trees; five will already be a crowd. I'm trying to find the tree with the best/most scented blossoms that, ideally, would bloom several times a year and have good fruit.

I've been considering an oroblanco grapefruit and a bouquet de fleurs sour orange. However, the bouquet de fleurs' fruit is only good for marmalade, which is a point against it. I'm hoping that the bergamot I'm planning for will have that orange blossom scent, but I haven't been able to find out anything about that yet.

There is no single perfect tree, but what variety would you recommend considering scent, frequency of blooms, tolerance, and fruit (in that order of importance)?

I'm happy to listen to any ideas or opinions you might have.

This post was edited by Tavimh on Mon, Jan 12, 15 at 22:40

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH