Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do I do with all these Limes?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:30

We have a Bears Lime. The limes are HUGE! It takes 4 to make a cup of juice. I have at least 2 gallons frozen. Every day, hubby comes up and tosses 6 more at me! YIKES!

Tonight we had Margaritas made with 4 limes, and Talapia - Avocado Ceviche made with 3.5 limes. Didn't make a dent.

What am I going to do with all these limes?

Thanks!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do I do with all these Limes?

When my Bearss lime had that sort of bumper crop, I donated many to a local food kitchen. call around first as not all will want as many as you likely have.

Jean,
who gardened in SoCal for 30-some years

o

So far it isn't a problem for me with a 17 year old that likes sour stuff. When he finally moves out, I will be in trouble.

Once I finally realized how prolific they are, I espaliered one to cut down its production of fruit.

o

You call this a problem margaritas , tilapia , avacado ceviche did I happen to mention margaritas. Someone's else's problem another persons paradise.

Cheers Brian

o

Thanks for the suggestions! I went to saveur.com and did a recipe search for lime. Got 901 results, BUT most recipes only use a tablespoon or two.

I found a chicken / lime soup which is similar to tortilla soup, so I'll give that a go, and am thinking Greek Avgolemono soup might taste good with limes instead of lemons.

Oh no! Lemons are starting to ripen!!

Brian, sorry to make you envious, but too much of anything is not a good thing. I've got enough frozen for margaritas all summer!

Suzi

o

I have the same problem with oranges every year. I give them away by the sack full and I still can't give away enough of them. Though it is better than not having enough.

o

desertdance

Could you post a pic or 2. I would like to see what this overproduction tree looks like.

Steve

o

My friend in Corpus Christi has two large lime trees. He freezes them whole in plastic bags, then juices them as they thaw.

o

Make limeade....1 cup lime juice in 1 Liter of ginger ale. Sweeten to taste.

Freeze your lime juice in an ice tray or in 1cup plastic freezer containers....pop them out after they are frozen and put in zip-loc baggies. They keep nicely for at least a year.

You can dilute your lime juice....1/4 cup in about a quart of water and use it as an after shampoo rinse for your hair and your body. Do a final freshwater rinse after the citrus. You will smell like a lime and your skin's pH will be slightly low as it should be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here