Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyinbtsomypantsnewb

Meyer Lemon Blossom Mold

Hello

I recently purchased a young meyer lemon tree that is also grafted with a key lime. I have yet to transplant as I've read they can be rather tempermental about such things, and since it doesn't seem root bound in it's current pot I've left it be. I do not water too often since it is the winter months and it is on my back patio in the south east corner. It gets about 6-8 hrs. of direct sunlight.

When I purchased the tree it only had two small thumbnail sized fruit and it was infested with a grey flying bug. I treated with neem oil and that has solved the bug problem. It has been a little over a month and now I am having a new problem. I have a ton of blooms, but they are all growing mold on the stamen and pistol shortly after the bloom opens. Then the rest of the bloom falls off, and shortly thereafter so does the immature fruit, and I have lost the original two thumbnail sized ones as well.

I have read that losing fruit may not be uncommon with young trees, but am at a loss for the cause of the mold. It does not occur anywhere else on the tree, and as the lime side is not flowering right now, that is fine too. The mold does not show up on developing buds, just only after they have had a chance to open. I am starting a neem oil treatment, but would like to know how this could have happened and please how can I prevent it?

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!