Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcamp30144

Do you water with warm water in winter

Most of the time leaf drop is when the soil is too cold and or to low of sunlight. I have corrected the sunlight problem by buying a greenhouse this year. That's where the few plants I have in the living room I keep in sunny windows and use Supplemental light. The following is what I know and have learned over the past 3 years of growning citrus in a cold winter Environment just wanted feed back. Have used warm water to water for 2years with good results. Your soil temperature is the most important thing If your soil temperature falls below 55 degrees the roots stop working and thus can't support the leafs so it drops leafs to cope with the loss of root function. Even my trees that stay in the house where it stays 70 degrees year around. On really cold nights the pots that are on the window seal will get colder than 55 degrees. In the winter when I water I mix some warm water with cold water to get 85 degree water. The 85 degree water warms the roots up so they can take in the water and nutrients you're giving them. If u do this Is it very important to make sure the water is not above 85 degrees. If the water is too hot you will kill your plant I use a digital thermometer that is very accurate to make sure the water is not too hot. By doing this I have almost zero leaf drop when I bring the trees in or put them in my greenhouse for the winter. I hope this helps I'm not the expert but this is what I have learned.
Trace

Comments (8)