Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irrelephant_gw

Scale

Irrelephant
11 years ago

I was bored tonight, so I got out an especially bright flashlight and went into my sunroom where I keep my plants to look at the new growth on one of my meyers. I noticed one scale on the trunk high up. After that I looked at every leaf top and bottom and only could find one other leaf, this time with two very small scales and a bit of that sticky secretion stuff they leave behind. After that inspection, I moved the tree into a different room (without much light though, and risk of pets attacking it) to isolate it. It seems that I have caught this very early, so I'm hoping it's easier to get rid of.

First of all: where do you guys buy fish emulsion for future prevention (i never got around to ordering it, but now I should)

Should I use a cotton swab with alcohol? Buy horticultural oil? Should I just cut all the leaves off the plant so I only have to treat the trunk? I can get pics tommorrow I think. How far can these travel, was isolating unnecessary?

I heard that they can travel by people, and not a week ago I had family from texas where they grow citrus drive up here (arkansas) and they were in the room I keep my plants for a long time, so maybe that's how I've got them?

I went and looked for a while at my other citrus, but none of them had any scale when I looked, but I will keep looking .

Andrew

Comments (4)