Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmc2009

January Citrus in the lean-to greenhouse

tmc2009
10 years ago

I sampled some of the citrus in the greenhouse today. The Meyers lemons needed picking and there are plenty of ripe Satsuma mandarins and Trovita Oranges.

Here is a link that might be useful: January Citrus

Comments (20)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Hi Could you post some pictures of the outside of your greenhouse. Either still pictures or videos would be fine.

Thanks Steve

• mes111
    10 years ago

tmc..

I watched one of your videos and I have a couple of questions.

1. How much natural light do you get and do you provide any additional artificial light?
    2. I see a small heater. What temp do you maintain in the greenhouse ?

Thanx
    Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Great growing as usual, New England!

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Just AMAZING there and in my area!!!

I hope you come back and see our comments and questions since I can't see to privately e-mail you through these forums!

What kind of soil are you using? How often do you fertilize?
    What kind of fertilizer? How much sun are they getting?
    How do you treat the bug issues? With what kind of treatmnent?

Just a fantastic job!

Mike

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

North pole mike

The reason you can't email is that you are not listed as email-able through garden web. There are times I would have emailed you over top secret classified documents and could not, because of the sensitivity of these intelligence communicas, I could not post it on the gardenweb without jeopardizing national security. Get your self listed as reachable by members so that I can share with you the most sensitive of papers.

TOP SECRET
    Agent Steve

10 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    It's true, your email contact option is turned 'off' - you'll have to change settings if you want to email. In the meantime, I can tell you more about the mixes. There's a good amount of pine bark, perlite, turface (in some mixes), and potting mix. It's not quite a 5-1-1, since there's more potting mix, but it's better than the standard mixes we so often see.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Tmc, you do this all the time..You start a thread and then don't come back to follow up, thank anyone for their comments, or answer any questions..lol

Good luck with your trees.

Thanks Josh!

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 13:04

10 years ago

You're welcome, Mike!
    If you really need to contact Tmc, you can comment on his videos and he's pretty good about responding.

Josh

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Steve, I added a section titled lean-to greenhouse on my youtube channel homepage. That has all the videos I did on the lean-to to date.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Gardening Home page

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike, I do not supplement the light. The sun is pretty low on the horizon this time of year and we get a lot of days of overcast but when the sun is out the lean to faces south so its pretty bright in there and seems to be enough light. The heater is killing me. I have some humidifiers on 24/7 now in the house and the bird bath heater and it's been cold too so the electric bill went up $100. I have a lot I can do to make the lean to more air tight and insulated and add some passive solar heat. I found a local source for those food grade barrel that I want put get for the Harbor freight greenhouse too. I did get down to 28 F a couple of weeks ago and this week will have subzero temps outside too

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, I tried to make a 5-1-1 mix best I could by sifting bags of pine bark chunks but this summer took someones advice and found a local Agway that has the perfect size bark for the citrus mix. I just need to find a large size perlite supplier. I mixed with retail bags of organic garden soil. I have some citrus in a turface mix too but its heavy and I will eventually repot in the 5-1-1 mix which is a lot lighter. I have also used farfad 52 which edible landscaping recommended. I use Neam oil and q-tips with alcohol and my fingers to remove bugs.

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I do have a bad habit of not going back to look at garden web posts. Isn't garden web in one of my crop circles? Google is driving me crazy with this circles stuff. And it's a short trip.

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and I forgot, Since I bought some of my citrus from four winds growers I use their Romeo fertilizer which reminds me I'm running low so I have to order some.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

TMC

Thanks for the link. I have looked at several at your YouTube videos. Very impressive.

Thanks

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Tmc...Thanks a bunch!

You know, I think my trees and I are getting a bit tired of this COLD weather..You are doing a great job..I love the porous mixes you speak of..They make all the difference in this part of our world.....You are lucky to get so much fruit.
    I am getting a Page myself come spring)

Mike

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Congrats Mike you are going to love the Page. They grow very rapidly straight up , they are a beautifiul looking tree. Like Patty said they produce like crazy.

Brian

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are pictures of the South and West sides of the Lean-to

• tmc2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the West facing side

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

That is absolutely fantastic. I am building the same thing on a 2 story house but only on the south side. My roof will be slope and triple glazed with recycled sliding glass doors. I got 14. My footer is built, and I plan to do the wall framing this winter. With temperature dropping to negative 273 degrees Celsius I decided to wait. LOL extra loud.

Thanks for the pictures. It means a lot to me

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

found the footer picture.

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 10:25