Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meanngreen

Are my trees dead?

MeanNgreen
10 years ago

I have a satsuma, kumkuat, and a Meyer lemon. All were doing great till a nasty frost hit. I covered root system with potato sack material and Christmas lights, nothing on branches.
I've had them about 5 months and within past few weeks they seem to have been killed by frost these past few weeks. Any ideas?
Thanks

Comments (15)

• farmerkevin
    10 years ago

Scratch somewhere on a branch. If it uncovers green, then its still alive. If it uncovers brown, keep scratching on different parts of the tree until you've gone up and down the whole thing to see where it's dead or alive.

I have a kaffir that looks dead, but the trunk and main branches are still green when I scuff a part of the bark off.

Best advice I can give is, wait it out.

Good luck.

• MeanNgreen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here how they looked 2 months earlier.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I'm SO sorry this happened to your trees, they looked very healthy in that last picture. Too bad you didn't just bring them inside or in the garage. The satsuma and kumquats can take pretty cold temps ( slightly below freezing) but that's usually trees that are inground and a little more established. How cold did it get? Potted plants especially young and immature trees can't handle long periods of very cold weather...

Kevin gave you some good advise...I would wait and see if and where the new growths emerge and then you can prune off the dead parts...hopefully it will survive? Good luck!

• jelibean
    10 years ago

If they do still show green under the bark, I would bring them inside immediately, and let them warm up (slowly) to room temperature. This includes soil temp. Then water, maybe with the water being slightly warmer than room temp, with a cap full of vinegar in the water. Care for them like you would if they were outside, but make sure they get some humidity in the air. With any luck, they will think they've had a dormant period and start flushing out again. As the weather outside warms up and stays that way, you can transition them back outside. Just pull them inside again if you get a frost warning.

• tammycheramie
    7 years ago

I have a question. My satsuma seemed to be dead trunk even broken. Now i have new shoots coming out of the sides of the trunk. Will these continue to grow and produce?

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

I think if the new growth is below the graft then its root stock and won't be any good...if its above the graft then it should be okay...

• Lorraine Miller
    7 years ago

Should these fruits be removed they were on the tree when I brought them, they are soft and this is the first time iam growing a Satsuma. Should I just remove to let other buds grow. When do you harvest.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    7 years ago

Assuming that you are in the northern hemishpere, yes! Try them... they may not be fully ripe, but might be close. Satsumas are normally ripe for me in November and can last on the tree until early January.
    Let your tree focus its energy on growing larger and a new crop.

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Nice Lorraine and Hello Nancy!!!

• Lorraine Miller
    7 years ago

I live in South Carolina and thought you pick your fruit in Oct or Nov, this being May confuses me about when is the right time to try to taste this fruit. I will remove them to give the tree time to focus on the hew buds.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    7 years ago

Trees can get off cycle. I hope the fruit is good, but if not don't despair. The quality vastly improves with the tree's age.

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    7 years ago

Is that a satsuma? That's not what store bought ones look like? Nice size though!

• lmmrainey
    7 years ago

Yes it is

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Hi Mike!!!!!!!!!! Hugs from Florida :o)

Cute Satsuma tree Loraine, my satsuma fruits looks just like yours...

• lmmrainey
    7 years ago

When will you be picking your fruit off the tree. I keep hearing and reading Nov thru Jan when I squeeze the two I have they are soft I don't know if I should remove them or what