Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmgirls_gw

Owari Satsuma Mandarin from Four Winds

farmgirls
17 years ago

Hello fellow ground grubbers! I am new to the forum and have LOT-SA questions. I'll start with one: my father-in-law left a little present for me on the doorstep; an owari satsuma mandarin. I really don't know much about citrus since I live in NORTHERN CA. We get mucho rain here on the redwood coast, near the Oregon border. I currently have the tree in ground against a wall, where it receives about 8 hours of sun. I put it in the ground in August. The tag says it flowers in December, but so far, no dice. Anyone north of San Fransisco have any luck with these in the ground? Thanks in advance; I appreciate all help.

Cheers,

Farmgirl

Comments (13)

• dltsch
    17 years ago

Welcome to citrus! Owari Satsuma should be a good choice for you. Of all of the oranges, it is one of the most cold tolerant. The quick answer to your question is that the bloom of any tree is very much dependent on microclimate. Additionally, a tree frequently takes a year or two to get into rhythm. My Owari Satsuma in so cal is not in bloom yet either.

The real issue is keeping the tree alive so that it can get to the bloom. All mandarins are very picky about water. DO NOT OVERWATER! Owari Satsuma in Japan are planted on terraced slopes for optimal drainage. Your site should have good drainage. A slope is ideal, but if you have fast draining soil it can work fine on the flat. Organics hold moisture and should only be used as a top mulch. Small trees can take a once a week water, larger trees once every three weeks or month. Water should always be a slow soak, a light sprinkler for 4-24 hrs (depending on the size of the tree) Of course if it has rained recently, there is no need for water. It sounds like that will be most of the year for you.

With full sun and appropriate water, your tree should do fine. A little triple fifteen a few times a year, and it will be great.

• farmgirls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much! It really does look healthy so far. It is on a slight slope, so maybe it will be happy. How long have you had yours? I am really looking forward to some blooms.

• dltsch
    17 years ago

My tree is four years old now and is doing great. They are relatively slow growing with a spreading habitat, ie they put out funny drooping branches. I had a great crop this year! The problem is that we ate them all in about three weeks. The citrus here in So Cal is just starting to bloom now. I know a couple of my trees had blossons last week.

• nerdindenial
    15 years ago

Near San Jose California I had a great crop (high numbers but a little small) in 2008. I keep mine in 1/4 to 1/2 cubic yard pots (with 5 big drainage holes), water them liberally, and use only low-potency organic fertilizer. They are my favorite-tasting orange and I try to keep some on the tree through January. This year the squirrels got wise and cleaned the last 30 off the tree in a single day, so next year I'm going to store them somewhere else!

• jamie123hurst_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

This tree is a few years old and has given us good fruit but this year it has not yet bloomed. Is it just slow this year or what? Thanks for your answer. Jamie Hurst in Lafayette, LA 337-523-9380

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Jamie, yikes!! Don't post your full name, location and phone number on a public board! You never know who's lurking, eek!!! See about getting your post taken down by one of the GardenWeb folks right away. And, I would suggest you re-post your question in a brand new thread, instead of tacking on a post to a thread that is 5 years old. That way, you can check off the "Notify Me" box and be notified via email of any responses. Just want you to be safe.

Patty S.

• noss
    12 years ago

Hello Jamie,

Patty knows what she's talking about. Get your post taken out of here fast.

I live in Lafayette, too, as you can see by my top line, whatever that's called. I just got a Satsuma tree this spring. I also got a Meyer Lemon and "rescued" a Key Lime tree from Home Depot. I also have a Satsuma in a pot. I think I might plant it out back, but don't know.

Vivian

• LIL_T6699
    11 years ago

Yes I have a question can u start planting this kinda tree from a seed how would u start it? and when is it a good time to plant this tree seed

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

LIL you might want to start your own message thread, instead of tacking onto a much older thread. You can also check off the Notify box as well, to notify you of responses. It can take anywhere from 3 to 15 years or more for a seedling tree to produce fruit. Satsumas are polyembryonic, and will produce at least one clone seedling that will be a clone of the mother tree (i.e., "true to seed"). Time to produce varies widely by cultivar and growing conditions.

Patty S.

• JulianO22
    10 years ago

Anyone use citrus spikes (jobes citrus spikes)in potted satasuma mandarin tree?
    About 3 1/2 ft tall in a 4 gallon pot. Using kellogs potting soil ..

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

JulianO22,

I would advise to made a new post to ask your question. The original post has nothing to do with your question.

I've use fertilizer spikes on a potted calamondin... It seemed like they worked... But they are not the best option I feel. A slow release fertilizer that you sprinkle out and them scratch it into the soil seems to work well for my citrus. It's simple, fast, and little chance of burning roots.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I personally wouldn't use Citrus spikes myself...CWW's advise of using slow release fertilizer is a much better way to fertilize potted Citrus.

A friend of mine killed one of her Lychee trees using one of those "fertiize spikes" and her tree was planted in the ground...Just passing it on...better safe than sorry. Sometimes those can burn the roots and cause serious problems...like an over dose :o(

• citrusweekendwarrior
    10 years ago

Double post. Sorry.

This post was edited by CitrusWeekendWarrior on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:21