Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19987797

Dwarf Tahitian Lime slow and struggling ?

User
11 years ago

Hi,

I planted a dwarf tahitian lime about 6 months ago and the poor thing is hardly growing.

It was placed into 1/2 wine barrel in a sunny spot and I have given it shelter from the wind.

It was flowering at first so I removed all the flower buds and then it did almost nothing until last December (I'm in NZ). Around Christmas it showed a series of good growth, then halted again.

Now it started showing new growth, but I have noticed that during the day the growing shoots are wilting and floppy. I gave it some more water on a hot day and even after several hours the growing shoots look like they do in the picture I have attached.

It was placed in pot with a good container mix recommended by the local garden supply store where I bought the dwarf lime. There are plenty of holes in the barrel and if I give it a deep watering it flows freely out from the barrel. It was given a slow release fertilizer at planting and another dose of the slow release fertilizer last month.

I have heard that limes on dwarf rootstocks are slower to grow. I'm wondering if they root structure is too slow given the warm summer months?

I understand you can plant non-dwarf rootstock into a 1/2 barrel container and just deal with the size of the tree through pruning?

Any ideas why my growing tips look so 'droopy' and what I should do to get this little tree growing healthy?

Or should I just give up and replant with non-dwarf that will grow faster.

p.s. I recently planted a regular lemon meyer in a 1/2 barrel nearby and it seems to be doing much better.

Comments (4)

• bananafan
    11 years ago

Farsighted,

Your plant here looks pretty healthy to me. I think you were right in saying that the dwarf variety grows slowly. I have a non dwarf Tahitian planted in the ground for a few years already. The first couple of years, it didn't grow too much and it didn't bear fruit. This year being its third year planted, it is showing a little more growth and is fruiting now. Last year, it also flowered, but the blooms all dropped except for a couple which carried themselves to fruition. So, with my own limited experience, I think this variety is not a fast grower. That said, you have nothing to worry too much about your plant. It's a healthy looking dwarf, so it looks like you're doing all the right things to feed and water it. The only thing though about citrus fruit trees is that they don't like wet feet and over watering or mulching especially around their trunk. Lots of sun is good for them.

I'll post picture of my plant later. Hope your dwarf will take off when your hot weather comes. Are you having Summer now in NZ?

• eahamel
    11 years ago

It looks fine to me, too. Most of my citrus take several years to really start growing. You're right to remove the blooms when it's this small. It needs to produce lots of roots and strong top growth before it will be able to support fruit. I don't think it needs repotting now. You could put it in the ground if you don't have hard freezes in the winter, they aren't cold hardy like other citrus.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. One other thing I have noticed is that the growing shoots are perky in the morning and droopy when it's warm and sunny.

Does that mean anything? Too wet? Not wet enough?

I still wonder if a non-dwarf tahitian is going to grow faster than this little guy is so far. My non dwarf lemon meyer in a barrel 10 feet away is growing like a weed...

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

New growth is pliant and flexible, and extending.
    When the sun warms this new growth, it is especially pliant. The fact that the shoots perk back up once the temperature cools is an indication that it's fine. I suppose you could put up some shade cloth if it really bothers you, but I wouldn't worry about it. Great plant :-)

Josh