Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rescueme_gw

Kumquat Growing

rescueme
15 years ago

I would like to try and grow a Kumquat tree, starting from the seeds I have after eating the fruit. I know that it will be difficult to grow in a Long Island Climate but i'd like to give it a try. I was wondering when and how i should start to grow the seeds.

I was going to simply place them in a small pot with the Miracle-Gro® Cactus, Palm and Citrus Soil bag mix. Would this be good to use?

Any other thoughts on this miracle grow mix?

Any other advice for growing citrus, as i would like to try a lemon tree as well.

Comments (58)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    11 years ago

Does any one know what happened to mrtexas He seems to have just disappeared off the cyberspace.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 16:29

• mgk65
    11 years ago

He's still around. Check the forum at citrus dot forumup dot org

• J_Rivera
    11 years ago

I have a Nagami Kumquat and the leaves are droopy. I just moved it to a sunnier spot and put it on a regular watering schedule. How long before my leaves perk back up? I haven't killed any plants in a long time and I don't want to start now!

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

Rescueme, I live on Long Island, grow my meiwa kumquat tree in a western window, and I never put the tree outside at all! Love it!

Mary

• Pachhu
    11 years ago

I live in PNW. The plants in the photo are Meiwa Kumquat grown from seeds. They are 6 weeks old. I tried two different methods. Immersed the seeds in warm water for two days and planted them. Other method straight into soil. I kept them near a heater. Started to get them germinated in 2 to 3 weeks time.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I have concluded that growing from seed appears to work well. My friend and I started 8 Nagami kumquats, 8 sweet lee tangerines, and 6 Moro blood oranges. We have found that starting with sterile soil gets us going for the first 4 weeks, After 4 weeks we transfer the trees into their own pots with about 1/2 inch of the tap root exposed. This take care of damp off. We also use a hair dryer to aerate the roots. See pic below notice the space between the soil and the seed were the trunk starts

{{gwi:576119}}

At this time the tree are very vulnerable so we provide as much light and warmth to get them past their first 3 years. in the pic below you'll see broccoli growing under lights that provide heat to the Meiwa trees roots above.

{{gwi:39911}}

so Give it a try and start with a lot of seed including sacrificial citrus to learn for the kumquats to be successful. It is this stage you will learn what the trees need. My Meiwa from seed below at 1 year 1 month age.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 16:36

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

here is my nagami as of this entry

POTTED NAGAMI KUMQUAT TREE GROWN FROM SEED

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/slideshow/fig8citrus 6-14-13

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 16:41

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

Now you're digging up 2 year old threads to post the same damn pictures over and over again? Really?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

JoppaRich

YOU ARE WRONG

The rules state ,that I am to use existing threads rather than start new ones. Also others have responded with their own stories and pictures. furthermore this thread is
    ---------4YEARS OLD

Steve

• baconquest
    10 years ago

I too find your posts off-topic and redundant. Its not about forum rules or etiquette either, you do just seem to dig up old threads and post the exact same pictures over and over again. We get it. I'm really sorry, I try to stay positive and grateful for all the help on these forums (and YES the FIRST time you posted your carbon copy post I did find it interesting and insightful), but its getting annoying!

-Mike B

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

I'll tone it down. My reason for old threads was to see what success others had after a few years from seed. I am finding that its not much. I mam going to refrain from refrain from answering question, but post if I have a problem. I really like picture over short descriptive writings. I however have my own thread on kumquats where i am keeping track of my own stuff good and bad. I will continue to use that. I do appreciate the advice as I am unable to tell that I am off track or topic line.

Steve

• CalamondinKid
    10 years ago

Hi all, Hi Steve,

I let the Kumquat seeds I got go dry and lost them all. Nagami, I think. I am a calamondin grower but have been interested in Kumquat growing so I am searching all threads, new and old. MeyerMike got me started again a few years ago. Nice chap. Is he still here on the forum?

I am going to find some seeds as soon as I can find some.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

CalamondinKid

Meyer mike is very active on the citrus forum

I have done a lot of research on this suject and have a list of successes and failure to kumquat growing with descriptive pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hey Mike from good ole Mass!!!

Calamondinkid, how can I help you? Thanks for your kind word.

Mike:-)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

on kumquat growing by lean-to greenhouse and espalier training to the south wall. I have noticed that the sun rises north of east and sets north of west. The south side only get light when the sun crosses over the vertical of the east-west line. At my place in cincinnati that gives me 4 hour of sunlight in 15 hours day. I moved 15 espalier plants 13 days ago and they are doing very well. Keep your trees movable to catch the summer sun through out the day.

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 16:04

• pullweeds
    9 years ago

Hope someone can help. I have been putting off transplanting my Kumquat. This plant is picky, and drops all it's leaves if over watered in the winter; so I'm honestly scared to transplant, but I know I should. It's been in this pot for 7 years.
    What kind of soil?
    How much of the dirt it's growing in should I remove?
    Anything I should add to the soil?
    Thank you for your help, this is a really great tree; the fruit is seedless and so good, I don't want to mess it up.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I would not change the soil any more than necessary to undue wrapped roots. I would go with a pot with a radius about 3 to 5 inch larger. I would also go with a depth from 5 to 8 inches deeper. As for soil, Quick draining, never soggy feeling. You live farther north, 'cold' than I do. Unless you have a greenhouse you must be very careful of root rot. Other wise I would re-pot as it is getting warm enough for the tree to stay outside. Let the tree adjust to root shock as it is in the shade outside getting use to direct sunlight.

Good luck

steve

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Hi, meiwa kumquat grown from seed. It's 5 month old & 11" tall.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

That is a very nice looking tree. I wish you well with it.

Steve

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Seedling

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Thanks Steve.

It has started branching a few days ago. Three little ones on top.

• Carambola
    9 years ago

I started my Kumquat from seed 4/25/2011. Today (7/22/2014) it has its first set of buds. Its only taken me three years to get it to this point. It is possible I have a Miewa-Kumquat Grapefruit cross, which is honestly what I am hoping for. It has proven to be quite cold hardy, this winter was cold for Texas, got down to 19ðF. I'll post again in Dec. when the fruits ripen.

• Carambola
    9 years ago

Here is an up close picture of one of the buds. (I couldn't figure out how to post multiple photos in one message.)

9 years ago

Wow awesome u must be happy to see it bloom
    Trace

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Your tree looks great with that bloom coming on.

My tree is near dead but pulling through. My tree looked it best size when 2 years old. From what you all have posted, I can assume I need to change my soil mix or graft it. The tree has lost 1/3 leaves and will loose all the leaves and 1/2 the branch mass. I am unable to get a view-able picture because of its position among other plant.

Steve

9 years ago

Steve I feel the spyder mites got to far before you caught them and weakened your tree and then when u moved them to much shock.
    Trace

9 years ago

Update on my seedling.
    Trace

This post was edited by Tcamp30144 on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 0:52

9 years ago

Was holding phone wrong sorry about sideways pics.
    Trace

• natehersco
    9 years ago

HELP: Caused fertilizer Root burn to my 13 YO Meiwa

This winter I callously over fertilized my very beloved Meiwa tree it has lost all its roots and now has only the main tapper portion. It has gradually lost during this summer nearly 99% of it leaves.
    It is still hanging there with a few leaves and live all naked branches.
    What can I do to bring back alive some roots?
    Thanks for any advise.
    Nate

• citrineorange
    9 years ago

Hi Carambola,
    Your tree gives me hope, thought I have to wait for 10 years to see my kumquat blooms. It's just 7 month old, 10" W by 17" H :)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Carambola, citrineorange, Trace How are your seed grown kumquat tree doing now. I hope they are doing well.

Both of my kumquat trees died when the top of my greenhouse blew off in high winds at -3 F. A friend gave to 2 seed grown Fukushu kumquat trees. They are much easier to grow than Meiwa kumquat trees

• Emily-Fee Rochester
    8 years ago

I'm so glad this thread is still going, actually! I'm determined to plant some of these for myself, and these tips have all been insightful so far.

I'm in Charleston, SC, and we actually have these things we call Carolinaquats that grow on trees around the lowcountry. They aren't really kumquats, but they are alike enough in flavor and appearance. They also ripen for the months between March and June, and you can basically just pluck the fruit off and eat them as you walk around the city. So, there are trees planted in random places around my neighborhood, and people let me take the fruit whenever I want. I'm saving the seeds this year to (hopefully?) start a small stand of the trees in my yard. I'm hoping that in a few years, we may even have enough fruit to not only make various good things, but also to sell at our farmer's market.

Again, these tips have all been beyond useful, including the pictures. I can't tell you how happy I am that this thread didn't just end and fade away back in 2009! I hope I have some pictures and insights to add soon, myself. Thanks, everyone! :D

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Emily do you know the correct name for these Carolinaquats. Goggle can not find anything like that.

Thanks

• Emily-Fee Rochester
    8 years ago

I've searched dozens of times, myself. I can't find the correct name for them, no matter how many times I've tried. Here's a picture:

And there are random trees all over the city and its surrounding suburbs. They have a soft fuzz on the outside until they reach peak ripeness; there are 2-4 hard brown seeds inside, nothing at all like a citrus seed; and the taste is almost like a cross between a tangerine and a strawberry, I'd say. All I can really give you is local knowledge, since these don't exist according to Google.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Do you think it might be a strawberry guava

• Emily-Fee Rochester
    8 years ago

Nope, I just looked up strawberry guavas (didn't know those were a thing that existed!) and it can't possibly be the same fruit. These strawberry guavas are deep red, and the seeds are too small and pale.

• diveval
    8 years ago

Yes, that is a loquat, common in Guatemala. Their name is Nispero, but is not a citrus

• Emily-Fee Rochester
    8 years ago

Oh wow, thanks, you guys! Having this information at last is... well, absurdly satisfying. XD I've started several seeds in a 4x6 biodegradable egg pallet, and my plan is to cut the seedling aprart for transplant to larger pots over time. I'll have to post pictures of their progress; I have high hopes for these little guys.

• HU-641787478
    5 years ago

I have a kumquat tree for over 12 years. i received it from my friend - she had a baby from the existing plant that carried fruit. My plant looks healthy but has never bloomed and obviously never carried a fruit. What should I do to push it to bloom? Thank you. Erika

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Do you have pictures

• HU-641787478
    5 years ago

This is the picture of the tree that refuses to bloom. Its parent plant is very prolific bloomer and bears a lot of fruit. Any ideas what to do will help. I bring my plant outdoors every summer.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

You and Bob got the best looking kumquat trees I have ever seen. I don't know what to tell you. I have 4 seed grown Meiwa kumquat trees that have not fruited. 3 out of 4 of them have put on flower/s.that dropped. Mine are very scrawny compared to yours.

My 2 biggest meiwa's

The largest to the right has not flowered. I am hopping We get suggestions.

Steve

• HU-641787478
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

They don’t look too bad. I am trimming my tree every spring/summer to get bushy looks. Wish it would bloom and bear some fruit. It is frustrating.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Is your tree from seed or a rooted cutting from the parent plant.

Steve

• HU-641787478
    5 years ago

Not sure - my friend told me that she separated it from the parent plant. It was in the same pot. Maybe it started from the seed.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Since it is on its own roots I can tell you that you don't have the node count to maturity. You need to stop trimming it and let it grow taller. It should start flowering around 4-5 feet tall.

Steve

• HU-641787478
    5 years ago

Thank you. Should I replant and feed it too? I have citrus fertilizer but have not repoted the plant for many years. How would I know when enough of node count?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

Node count should be around 100. If you are growing in adequate heat and good light re-potting would be a good idea. Hold off on the feed for at least 2 weeks from replant

• HU-641787478
    5 years ago

Thank you!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz