Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf meyer lemon tree - moved inside and things went wrong!

Posted by poppymd Seattle, WA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 1:59

I am a relatively novice gardener... last summer I bought a dwarf meyer lemon tree and planted it in a container. It was sitting out on a stone patio, growing well, and over the last few months had grown about 6 lovely lemons that were ripening and looking great. When the weather started to get quite cold I moved the tree inside and within a week the lemons have started to rot and the tree has lost several leaves. Any thoughts? Should I move it back outside (it is in the 30s-40s at night currently, zone 7)? Should I pinch off the lemons and start over?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf meyer lemon tree - moved inside and things went wrong!

Well, you have made the classic potted Meyer error. Meyers are quite sensitive to significant light change and will drop its leaves to replace them with new leaves better suited to the new light. In the future move the plant from full sun to partial sun; after 2 weeks move it to full shade; and 2 more weeks to inside. Reverse that in the Spring when you put it out, and you should avoid the leaf drop. Yes, I would cut the fruit, as the tree needs to put all its energy into making new leaves. Continue to treat your plant well, and it will make a full recovery.

o
RE: dwarf meyer lemon tree - moved inside and things went wrong!

How's the tree coming along Poppy?

Thank you John for your advice.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here