Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beezee_gw

jungle grow

beezee
10 years ago

need to repot 8 inch pot of recently acquired lime tree...found this product at lowes...is there anything I need to add to the mix? bz

Comments (13)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

First, I think it is called Jungle Growth Soil; and there are a number of types. Post a photo of the bag and the ingredients label and maybe someone here can help you.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Just The sails receipt. Then take it back and get your money back and then prepare a mix of your own.

I use
    1 part crushed brick 1/4 inch - 3/4 in
    3 Parts sand from 1/16 to 3/8
    1 part pine bark fines
    1 part soil and or top soil

Mix together and plant your tree.

Check the link below and pay attention to other that diagree. They have good ideas to.

3 Sweetlee tangerine trees grown from seed

{{gwi:562286}} 53 weeks old trees using my soil formula.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg101613462758.html

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    10 years ago

Is this what you're speaking of if so its a good soil just doesn't drain right for citrus. You could use it in a mix but not by its self.

10 years ago

My mix is
    1/3 perlite
    1/3 sand
    1/3 EB stone citrus cactus soil

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

My mix is
    1/3 perlite
    1/3 sand
    1/3 EB stone citrus cactus soil

That sounds like a darn good mix.

I also want to point out that the picture of the tiger on the bag of jungle growth has nothing to do with the product but is for advertising purposes. It is meant to make us feel that anything good enough for the jungle and tigers is better than anything else out there. It is as silly as driving to an Exon gas station to put a tiger in your tank.

I suspect that the term water wise on the package should also carry a citrus 'scull and cross bones'

Steve

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Sand is a terrible amendment in a container mix - sand compacts, migrates, impedes drainage, and causes a mix too retain too much moisture.

Josh

10 years ago

Sand if u clump it yes but if u mix it well it helps or has for me thanks Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

The secret to growing citrus is to pot up in the spring and the tree will grow into its container and along with plenty of foliage to draw water and nutrients from your mix. When the plant comes inside for the winter, it's root ball is in need of a larger pot. We will wait till spring so that the soil dries fast enough during the low moisture demand of winter to prevent rot problems. Spring comes and we pot up again. The tree takes off again.

If you use fine size play sand, drainage can be a problem. I use coarse angular sand and it drains fast. While it holds enough water is is only damp to the touch. In almost all areas of this country 'USA' you will have to have some organic material such a pine bark fines, peat moss or good grade potting soil or just garden dirt, The amount you use will depend on wind and heat of your area.

The ideal setup would to use plastic beads for the roots to spread and anchor the tree and feed it hydroponically. Just don't let high winds or tornadoes cut your electric supply.

My soil drains so fast that I cannot pour my weakly weekly solution from a milk bottle fast enough to run over the containers edge.

There are a handfull of us that don't have the resourses to buy several hundread gallons 511 materials and we make our own mixes that are good enough.

If you don't have the green for the materials, then you should not be growing citrus trees.

OR MAYBE YOU CAN GET CREATIVE WITH GARBAGE.

Clay pots can replace bricks for aggregate pieces

{{gwi:562288}}
    In a 1/2 year my mix has dropped 1/4 inch. I need to pot up this spring.

I check my nagami kumquat for root rot. When I turned the pot upside down the dirt fell away from the roots like sand falling through an hour glass.
    {{gwi:562290}}
    Perfect roots. I down sized the container and I poured in my fortunella formula as I lower the tree in. The roots spread evenly. I saturated the roots with water. The extra came right out. I will feed the tree in 2 weeks.

Steve

10 years ago

Well said Steve you adjust the mix for your part of the country. If u or I did our mixes in Nevada it wouldnt hold Moisture tree would always be thrust.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Fine sand isn't appropriate in a container anywhere in the country, really. When considering a grit ingredient (sand, turface, DE, pumice, lava rock, granite, quartzite), aim for a diameter of right around 1/8 of an inch. Angular or sharp edges are better than smooth or rounded particles.

Josh

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Thanks Josh That will knock out about 5%-10 % of my content. I still need the organic filler material of which I use completely rotted compost and pine bark fines. But you pretty much said it can be what you find around home, street, creek, of lake shore. Screen out and remove the small and fine stuff. My trees are getting potted up this spring and I will screen to correct any problems if I have them.

I avoid limestone aggregate.

Steve

10 years ago

I dont use play sand I use very corse almost like tiny rock sand sorry my bad if I sounded like I used other wise.

10 years ago

I WOULDN'T use this when I didn't know any better I potted a lemon tree in this pure. Well that was 2yrs ago I repotted that tree today it lost 2/3 of its root ball because the soil was so compacted and stuck to the roots. Would of took pics but had to hurry to repot the tree. The tree started loseing leafs over the last month that's what made me repot it to see what's up.