Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting seeds for Sour (Seville) Orange.

Posted by njoasis 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 7:43

My local Korean market was selling Sour Oranges and I picked up a few--for the seeds mainly. I have a large citrus collection and wanted to add a few of these. How do these oranges compare to other citrus in terms of ease of cultivation in containers and cold hardiness? Will seeds of the fruit eventually yield flowering plants or will they be sterile. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting seeds for Sour (Seville) Orange.

njoasis, I am doing the same- after making marmalade from these seeds, I potted some of them up to grow. There was a post recently from a woman entitled something like "Seems like I have given birth" who grew a seed from a Seville orange that she got from Spain and in 10 years was giving blossoms! You could scroll back a few pages to find her post.

o
RE: Planting seeds for Sour (Seville) Orange.

the seeds of the fruit will yield flowering plants, but it will take a while (years). You may as well order a grafted plant or one propagated through cuttings to get fruit immediately (my recommendation is a grafted variety). They are very easy to maintain and I have heard that some people use this variety as a rootstock just because of its hardiness. The flowers of this plant are rated as the most fragrant among all citrus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here