Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oil spray for sooty mold effects blossoms?

Posted by solstice98 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 9:12

I'm a frequent poster on the Florida Forum but am hoping the citrus experts here can help me with a specific problem.
I'm in Orlando so my trees are in the ground, not in containers.

Two of my citrus trees (Lemon & Page) have quite a bit of sooty mold on them and I would like to use an oil spray now. But they are blooming. Will using the spray prevent these flowers from forming fruit? I'm concerned that the bees won't be able to move the pollen around if it's coated with oil.

The lemon (Meyer) has not performed well in the spot it's in. It's been there for almost 7 years and is still pitifully small; I only get about a dozen fruit each year. Is this a good time to move it? If I do move it should I strip the flowers off during the first year to give it a chance to re-develop a good root system?

Is it too early to feed the citrus trees? And if I move the lemon, should I wait a few months before feeding it?

Thanks for your help!
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oil spray for sooty mold effects blossoms?

I'd hold off on the oil until well after the bloom. Commercially, oil is used June through August, but seldom outside that range.

Yes, this cool weather is good for moving a tree. Keep the roots moist throughout the process, and really flood the soil where you plant it. I'd prune back the top so it has relatively few leaves to support. I'd not worry much about the flowers; it will naturally drop them if it needs to.

Feeding -- yes, now is the ideal time for your first application (old growers always say after the full moon in February). Then again in 4-6 weeks, and a third application in the fall, after the summer rains are about over. Avoid fertilizing with anything leachable during the rainy season -- it will just wash away.

If you move your lemon, yes, let it grow a new flush of leaves before you start fertilizing it.

o
RE: Oil spray for sooty mold effects blossoms?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 20:23

Because you have sooty mold, start looking for the insects that generate the honeydew which is required by the sooty mold.

The potential culprits are aphids, scale, whiteflies, and mealybugs. Scale are the best at hiding out; they blend in well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here