Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watekebb

2 year old kaffir setting new leaves; fertilize now?

watekebb
10 years ago

Hi everyone! In early December I purchased a 2 year old kaffir lime tree. I live in southeastern Pennsylvania and was pretty intimidated by overwintering my little tree... so I spoiled it rotten. It inhabits a bright south-facing window, and I give it some time under a grow light in the evening. I run a humidifier on it most of the time, spritz its leaves periodically, and bring it into my bathroom to bask in the humidity every so often.

It started blooming prolifically in late January, which gave me a fright because I know dying trees will occasionally throw everything they've got into reproducing before they fade away. But now it's sending out a bunch of new leaves and branches too... The leaves are all dark green and glossy. Some of the pea-sized baby limes fell off, but some are staying put and growing. I did spot two spider mites around Christmas, but I treated the leaves with an insecticidal soap and haven't seen any since. Does it sound like it's doing alright?

Since I'm a novice tree-caretaker, I have some stupid questions. I know I'm supposed to fertilize in the early spring. Does that mean I should fertilize *now*, since my tree is starting to grow? It's also still in the 5 gallon growers pot that I got from the nursery. I don't know what kind of mix is currently in it, but it seems to be draining well. When should I think about repotting?

Thanks so much for reading my long-winded novel! Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (5)