Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pulsemed

buy sour orange seeds

PULSEMED
11 years ago

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHERE I CAN OBTAIN SOME SOUR ORANGE SEEDS TO USE IN GROWING ROOTSTOCKS.

Comments (14)

• User
    11 years ago

Have you tried any local Asian markets. My local Korean markets are loaded with them at this time of year. I have germinated them form store bought fruit--they are easier than sweet oranges in my opinion.

• souf
    11 years ago

i live in texas... if you're still offering, i'd love to have some seeds aslan89

• aslan89
    11 years ago

Ok sure, just send me a message with your address and I'll send you some.

• PULSEMED
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I AM NEW TO GARDENWEB AND POSTING THESE MESSAGES. I DON'T KNOW WHO THEY ARE GOING TO. I AM STARTING A SMALL FRUIT ORCHARD IN MY BACK YARD AND WILL HAVE ROOTSTOCK MATERIAL FOR ANY TYPE OF FRUIT TREE EXCEPT CITRUS. I HAVE MOST TYPES OF CITRUS, BUT NO ROOTSTOCKS. MY NURSERY SAID IF I COULD GET SOME SOUR ORANGE SEEDS, I COULD GROW THE SOUR ROOTSTOCKS JUST AS THEY DID, THEY JUST DIDN'T KNOW WHERE I COULD BUY THE SOUR ORANGE SEEDS IN SMALL QUANTITIES. ASIAN89 SAID THAT THEY WOULD SEND ME SOME SOUR ORANGE SEEDS AND I APPRECIATE THAT. I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO RESPOND BECAUSE THIS IS NOT THE TYPE OF E-MAIL I AM USE TO. THANKS TO ALL WHO CAN HELP. I WILL HELP IN RETURN IF I HAVE SOMETHING YOU WANT.

KEN McRAE
    202 MOBILE DRIVE
    TYLER, TEXAS 75703
    (903) 561-9420

• abjones116
    10 years ago

aslan89,

Do you still have any seeds available?

• Tyler-1999
    9 years ago

Hello aslan89,
    Do you still have any of the sour orange seeds available? I have been looking online and in local garden centers for some sour orange rootstock seeds, but have not found any in small quantities. I would like to try my hand at grafting and I would like to grow to rootstock from seed which is why I'm asking. I live in Texas. Thank you for your time.

• ddunawaysr
    8 years ago

aslan89, I am very interested in your sour orange seeds how can I get some seeds

• pip313
    8 years ago

Buy fruit. Sour orange has way above average seed count.

Ripetoyou.com is one site that has sour orange

• User
    8 years ago

Try visiting an Asian or HISPANIC produce market. They are commonly used in the Caribbean. If not, try online for the fresh fruit, if you see seeds sold on line, be sure they are FRESH..., Citrus seeds have poor viability if they are not really fresh! Overall, one of the easiest of Citrus from seeds in my experiences (and fruits are packed with seeds).

• copingwithclay
    8 years ago

I have watched mature Sour Orange tree's lack of cold hardiness during brief 15 degree weather, which disappointed me. I had been growing some from seed for future grafting, but after determined that if I can't graft on a r/s more cold hardy than that then I won't bother. If you are growing them in climates with no threats of 20 degree events, or colder every once in a while, then maybe Sour Orange can work for you over many years. However, Trifoliate or Flying Dragon seeds would both be better for growing in colder places to use as r/s.....It just takes ONE unusually cold event to hit them hard, even after many years of doing well in usual Winters.

• pip313
    8 years ago

How many scions can survive 15 degrees?

• copingwithclay
    8 years ago

Could you add more details as to what you have in mind?

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Seriously, I don't know any citrus that can survive 15 degrees, even for a few hours. Even 20* F would be tough.

I'm assuming "copingwithclay" means 15 degrees Fahrenheit, as 15 degrees Celsius (59*F)would be fine for most citrus.