Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaldb_gw

Meyer Lemon

donaldb
12 years ago

Greetings Mike and other citrus growers. Last May I purchased a Meyer Lemon at Logee's. Great place. It spent the entire summer and the warm part of the fall outside with a couple of my other citrus tree and other assorted orchids,bananas etc. What happened is when I brought in for the winter, and mind you it went from a 70 degree temperature outdoors to a 70 degree temperature indoors it lost all it's leaves and not until last week has it begun to show new life. What's up with that? My orange tree I've had for 30 plus years has never experienced any problems. Thank you for your help. Donald

Comments (8)

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Meyers are a bit sensitive to light changes; especially potted Meyers. A drastic change in light will often cause it to shed most or all of its leaves to replace them with new leaves better suited to the new environment. If it is showing new life, it will recover. What you SHOULD do is to move it from full sun to partial shade; then to full shade; and then indoors. Do the same in reverse when you put it back outside and I think you will have better luck.

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

or setup some artificial lighting with either a shop light with flouro tubes or a few large clamp on lamps with high wattage CFL's. a few pvc pipes to make a cheap stand, a power strip and a timer.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Donald,
    I have become obsessed with the Meyer lemon. The fragrant flowers and the flavor, AWESOME!

I had a HUGE one a few years ago that I sadly lost but this year I replaced it with a much smaller tree.

Houstontexas has given you some great advice. I grow all my citrus(except for my keylime), under my 600 watt HPS light, butI have to say, even with that, I still lost a handfull of leaves off of my tree. I got the tree roughly a month ago, and about 2 weeks ago, right around the same time leaves were dropping, I had an explosion of new growth.

For us northern growers, I truly believe that supplemental lighting is the best way to go for growing citrus over our dark, and cold winters. Even if your lucky enough to have a large enough window for your citrus, the light quality probobly still isnt that great. How many days during the winter do we have nice bright sunny skies? I know where in live in western NY, we don't have too many!

You have made an excellent choice for an indoor lemon tree. I also own a Ponderosa, but I have to say, I still much prefer the flavor of my Meyer lemons!

Andrew

• donaldb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you kindly for everyone's input. Have a productive growing season. Thank you.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Don...I am so sorry! I never saw this thread until today! So sorry buddy!

Let me go home and read your thread and see if I can add anything. I hope you are well Don. Let me know when you want to take a ride up to Logee's with me.lol I am itching to go.

Maybe we can get something for Andrew?

What the hey. I read it since I realized I had more time and I have to say John was spot on. How is it doing now Don, if you are seeing this?

Mike:-) 63 today!

• johnmerr
    12 years ago

Happy Birthday Mike. I will be 67 in a week. Experience matters.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Oh, happy birthday, Mike!! Have a nice Mimosa tomorrow morning to celebrate

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I love you guys!lololol

Not 63 years old! It was 63 degrees today! You guys, I couldn't stop laughing at 5:20 this am..lol That made my morning.

I have a long ways to go to 63..You guys...lol

Have a great day:-)

Mke