Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aslan89_gw

Kishu Mandarin in Bloom

aslan89
10 years ago

Well spring has sprung for me here in Texas. All three of my potted citrus trees are in bloom but my Kishu is further along. I've still got them in the greenhouse frame though since this is Texas where it's 80 degrees one day and freezing the next lol

Comments (22)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Isn't that just a wonderful site? Knowing what's coming months and months from now, I can hardly contain my excitement haha.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Congrats Aslan!! It looks great, I'm sure it smells wonderful especially when they all start to open. Hope you get some fruits in several months.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do y'all suppose I need to pollinate the flowers? Today there are probably 20+ blooms fully open and I haven't seen any insects around because of the cooler weather. The stamens appear to be mostly near the pistals in the flowers so I think the wind we get would have done the job but I don't know.

• norwoodn
    10 years ago

I don't think you need to pollinate, as most citrus are self fertile.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point, I don't know what I was thinking. :p

I know I will regret saying this but I am getting tired of this freezing weather. Not looking forward to what comes after that here in Texas though.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Beautiful, and norwoodn is correct, most citrus are parthenocarpic, so no need to pollinate. The few varieties that need or improve fruit set with cross pollination in your area, probably have plenty of neighborhood options the bees and butterflies can choose from. And, you'd be surprised - the pollinators are there, just maybe not in as high a numbers as you'd see in warmer weather. Otherwise, your stone fruits in your area would never set fruit :-) Kishu is a heavy setter, and has really seedless fruits, you'll just love it.

Patty S.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Bo, awesome!!! Looking very nice and hello.

I can't understand why mine grows sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow...It must be the lack of full sun all year long...

Mike

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is very true Patty, and I'm sure your tree will take off when it starts warming up Mike.

I think my citrus got tricked because of the hot weather we had. It was literally in the 80's and full sun one day then down to a high in the 40's and low of 27 the next day haha. It keeps fluctuating wildly.

I lost my tomato and one of the jalapeño plants last night when the cover on my greenhouse lifted up on one side during the night sometime. Thank goodness for the heat lamps in there otherwise I might have lost everything and damaged my citrus trees. The page mandarins new growth looks like it got a little too cold, its slumped over in places but it doesn't appear to be dead. My kishu is in the center of the greenhouse under one of the IR lamps so it did just fine.

On the brighter side of things there are so many blooms open in that greenhouse that every time I open it I get a huge wiff of sweet citrus blossom :)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Imagine the scent :)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And one more just for good measure

• orangelime1
    10 years ago

Beautiful picture. It looks like it might have been taken at sunrise or sunset because there is a beautiful hue of orange or pink on the flowers. Kishu is definitley on my bucket list.

Brian

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Very pretty, that is one of several variety of Citrus I cannot find here (Kishu) at least none of the nurseries within 50 miles of me sells it. Maybe it doesn't do well here? NO clue...And since I hate paying shipping I guess its one I won't be getting :o(

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 11:14

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Is it against the law to send you one Pug?
    I have access to them JUst curious...

Great work Bo! I LOVE the coloring of those flowers..

MIke

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know they have them somewhere in Florida because I looked up a grower there that has them so if you can find a decent tree in state that they will ship you then you should go for it! Amazing little tree and fruit. I actually love it even more because they are 'mini' mandarins, but you really can't beat the taste either.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be legal Mike since Florida is under the citrus Quarantine like me in Texas :( At least I finally found one, took an hour and a half drive to get it but it was worth it in the long run.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Lots of great blooming pics! My kishu is in ground and a bit behind the rest of you. It is just now starting to bloom.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me Mike...unfortunately but I'm guessing that aslan is correct. I don't think we can ship anything out or have Citrus shipped in the state...pretty tight quarantine in place due to Citrus Greening!

Aslan, after reading your post I called around and found a place a few hours away...Harris Citrus Nursery in lithia, FL (and for those those people that order online) I believe they do ship Citrus out of state...

Aslan and Mrclint...are your Kishu trees on Dwarf rootstock?

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is that nursery outside of Florida? Because I don't think any trees can leave or enter a quarantined state.

That's a good question about the rootstock. I never thought to ask. My tree originates from the brazos citrus nursery wholesale site but I was unable to find any information on their site. I've always found it fascinating on this tree that there is such a difference in color between the root stock and Kishu tree.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture, I see what you mean...big color difference between the two...

If you google them on their website it does say they do ship out of state but to Contact them for more details. I would definitely do so before placing an order just to be on the safe side.

• santo379
    10 years ago

Your trees are looking wonderful. My Myer lemon is beginning to bloom. Hopefully I'll have a good crop this year than last.

By the way, any state can pretty much order citrus from anywhere, but I believe Arizona, California, Texas and Florida residents are not allowed to bring in citrus trees from other states. They can only order from their own state.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I'm in Texas, desperately wanted a tango mandarin but no luck here

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Look at all those blooms!! It must smell wonderful!!