Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolstropicals

Clementine Nules Orange and Variegated Eureka pink Lemon

carolstropicals
11 years ago

Hi, I have just purchase both of these Citrus Trees. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet concerning the lowest temps for both of these.
The tag says the Clementine will only go to 33 or so, but the Variegated Pink Lemon temperatures is not mentioned.
I would appreciate any information on these 2 citrus. It is important where they are planted in Houston for their survival.
I have read good and bad concerning the Pink Lemon. I know that the Meyer Lemon can really take the cold so I am wondering about the Pink Lemon.
Does anyone have experience with these. THANX Carol !!!

Comments (5)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Well, I'm not in Texas, and perhaps your local extension or Master Gardeners can give you more specifics, but in general, the Pink Variegated Eureka really is more of a novelty citrus, that what I would consider a cultivar grown for juice. They're pretty trees, but the lemons will be smaller, less juicy, and the tree will be significantly less vigorous. Lemons are less cold tolerant in general that mandarins, so I would make sure your lemon has good protection and in your blazing hot summers, some protection from afternoon sun if possible. My Variegated Pink Eureka lemon did fine through 5 days of nighttime low temps in the mid-twenties, but we had had several months of very chilly temps prior to that ridiculously cold temp run. The Clemnules should be fine to below 32 degrees for short periods without issue, especially if the temps have been colder for a period of time before a real cold dip. I am assuming both of these are going into the ground.

Patty S.

• carolstropicals
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very Helpful, I had thought the pink lemon might go that low in temp. We had temps of 26 degrees 3 years ago and it is rare. I can now plant the lemon in the front yard.
    I think you are saying that your Lemon hardened somewhat to accept that low temp.
    I was hoping for better or miracle news concerning the Clementine Nule - not wanting to baby it, but I am going to have to find a place in the back.
    They come from Spain and are just not cold hardy.
    It is funny that you can never find a low temperture for citrus varieties on the internet. Guess no one wants to be
    held responsible.
    Thanks So Much !!! Carol

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Oh, no, the Clemnules will do better than any lemon, Carol. Manadarins all in general are more cold tolerant than most lemons (maybe with the exception of the Improved Meyer lemon). You won't need to baby the Clemnules, but you will have to think about where you place that Variegated Pink Eureka. It is variegated, so that's the fist thing you must take into consideration - hot afternoon sun may burn the leaves. Secondly, it's a lemon and not as cold tolerant. My Clemnules also came through that cold snap just fine. And yes, having some time for citrus to get used to cold temps by hardening off (the best that they can), will certainly bode better if you have a serious cold snap. Where you can get in trouble with citrus and cold temps is more in the early spring, when everyone has had a bit of a warm up, sap starts flowing, you start to see a flush and buds, and then you get a wicked cold snap. That's when we and commercial orchardists get worried about cold damage.

Patty S.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

At about 27F, my Pink Eureka starts taking foliage damage. At 19F, even in a cold-frame, that damage becomes significant and extends to the thin branch-tips. That said, what a fantastic variety.

Josh

• carolstropicals
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Boy, this is very interesting concerning The Clementine Orange - that it can take cold temps. I realize I have waited to post, but I would like to ask HoosierQuilt what type of cold snap did you have. How low were the temps.
    According to what you say I should be able to plant the Clementine in the front yard since 26 degrees does not happen in Houston very often. Maybe they can handle lower temps once they get older. Thanks for all who responded to this post. Carol