Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Update on my Freeze Damaged Dwarf Meyer

puglvr1
13 years ago

Hello citrus friends, between Dec.7th and January 13th, we've had 15 nights of freezing temps anywhere from 24ð to 32ð and its taken a huge toll on my poor Meyer and Mango trees. I posted some before and after pics to show how well my little dwarf Meyer is recovering...I can't get over it! This little tree is only appx. 24" tall and I even see a few blooms! I've only planted this tree in the ground 9 months before the first freeze nailed it. I've had it potted for appx. four years prior to that. Just wanted to share some good news...thanks for looking!

Freeze Damage...Dec.'10...I really thought it was a goner!

{{gwi:563664}}

Taken this morning...

{{gwi:563665}}

Few blooms are starting to appear...

{{gwi:563666}}

Comments (15)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Pug!!!!!

Oh My God! What a story and look at the miracle.

I am soooooooooooooooo happy for you and even I thought it was a goner. Unbelievable how resilient these trees are at such abuse, and yet the only culprit that can kill them in a heart beat is lousy mixes and overwatering.

I have missed you around these parts, and thank you for bringing some great news here. I can't believe how baeutiful it looks. Look at all that green lush growth and flowers. It will look just as sharp as it did before the frost hit and no worries I hope of that dreaded cold from here on out. Look at what good ole Florida warmth, sun, and most of all your tender yet firm loving care can accomplish.

I am proud of you and the weather for making such a miraculous recovery on that pretty tree. I can only hope that your Mangos are doing such as nice Nancy.

Many hugs to you!

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Good morning, Nancy and Mike!

Nancy, great recovery. I, too, have missed your posts 'round these parts.

Josh

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

I am so glad to see the recovering pictures.Very heart warming. You will have a lot of fruits this year from it!
    Nancy, Meyer Lemons are supposed to be one of the hardier types of citrus as they are related to mandarins. I knew that yours would recover because in my neighborhood, this is the most commonly grown outdoor citrus and it has weathered decades (with hard freezes of 24 deg and below occasionally). People just trim out the affected branches and all seems to be well when summer comes by.

• houstontexas123
    13 years ago

great looking tree.

i have two small orange trees outside, survived but lost a bunch of leaves, havent started budding or anything yet.

my potted meyer has been in bloom for about two weeks.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much Mike, Josh, Ashley and Houston for all the kind words!

I guess the reason I thought it was a goner was because it was recently planted and I didn't think the tree has acclimated yet...seeing that tree in the first picture made me heartsick...so glad to hear that they can take these temps and still survive. I can handle trimming the dead stuff as long as I know the tree itself will survive. I love dwarf trees anyways,lol...

Hey Mike, in-ground mangoes aren't anywhere this lucky...much much worse...some are recovering a little better than others. All have been "pugged". One is without a single leaf on the poor tree...Will update those in the tropical fruit forum in several weeks.

Josh...I haven't posted much but I've been around lurking,lol...

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy! Thanks for posting those great pictures! I'm so glad to see such an impressive recovery! Looks like you'll even get fruit too - that is awesome. Thanks so much for the great data on how much cold they can take.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Pug, great news about the citrus! The recovery is amazing.

Here's a little tidbit that might make you feel a little bit more comfortable in the future. Your little tree had plenty of time to establish itself in the ground, in your climate. The smaller the tree, the faster the process is...and the warm climate means that your plants can keep on establishing far into the winter.

By 'establishing', I mean the tree's process of sending new roots out into its new native soil to the point where the root system can support the new plant in every way. For larger trees, we want the roots to have grown 3 X the distance from the trunk to the drip line before we consider it 'established'. This can take anywhere from 3 months to well over a year PER CALIPER inch of trunk, depending upon several factors...climate being extremely important.

So your little citrus was more than ready to face the freezing temperatures!

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great comeback, Pug! It makes me brave enough to wanna plant an improved lemon meyer in the ground, too.

Rhizo - very interesting and helpful data. Thanks for sharing.

-Bo

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks SunW, Rhizo and Bo! Much appreciated!

I just wish my Mango trees were recovering this quickly...Oh well, can't win them all.

Rhizo, Ditto to what Bo said...great info! Thanks for taking the time to explain it :o)

I think this little tree is on its way to becoming a nice productive tree.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quick question...should I remove this new growth on my newly planted satsuma ? It appears to be below the graft...Thanks in advance!
    {{gwi:563667}}

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Yep! Remove that sucker, toute suite!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Rhizo...will remove it tomorrow!

• tantanman
    13 years ago

Congrats Nancy on getting that tree on the way to another crop. I remember how good it looked a few months ago before all this horrible freezing weather set in. And you seem to have handeled it like a pro.

Last winter it got a little colder one night but we had about the same or a few more nights below 29 deg F this winter.

It is too early to tell if there will be a loss of fruiting this year, but my trees on sour orange and citrumelo have 1/2 to 1-1/2 in. growth and some blossom buds. Most of the trees on trifoliate are a little later, just showing budbreak or showing nothing in the case of the satsumas. Late blooming is usually not best for fruit quality. So I hope we have very little more cold and they can get those heavenly scented blossoms open by the end of the month.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You Tantanman! We're pretty lucky here in Central FL...our winter is pretty much over...our 14 day extended forecast shows nothing colder than 50 degrees for lows...70's and low 80's for highs! Thank Goodness...looking forward to Spring...not necessarily Summer though...TOO hot :o)

Best of luck with all your Citrus as well!

• nvhorseman
    11 years ago

I have a dwarf blood orange tree and a dwarf key lime tree. Both should be between 3-5 years old. Orange tree has one and one quarter inch diameter trunk 8 inches up and lime tree has 7/8ths inch diameter trunk. Both are in clay pots for the last two years. I have brought them inside every Oct. and start putting them out in late March for the day only. However, I forgot them one night and we had a 28 degree night. At first the leaves looked fine, still green, still had turgidity.Lime had bloomed and set blue berry size fruit. No blooms on orange tree at all. But two days later leaves are frozen in time and dry as a bone. None of the branches have shriveled in 5 days since freeze. Do I remove leaves or wait for them to fall and address any shriveled branches when I see them? Thanks for any help. I'm in Zone 7 @ 5K ft. elevation, north of Reno, NV.