Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Your are not alone..It happens to me too!!

meyermike_1micha
10 years ago

Yup, massive leaf drop on my favorite Orange Tree..

I have never had a problem like this that is until I insulated my home...
Now the plant room is a good ten degrees warmer by day and has been for about a week...Now the heavy leaf drop and twig die back begins...

I think I shall have to open windows or supply more light even though they are in very sunny windows and conserve heat..

What to do?

Mike....

Comments (8)

• Saorise_2013
    10 years ago

Same problem. My three citrus have all lost lots of leaves and my blood orange even had branch die back. It has lost alot of its new growth from the summer. :-( I live in Oregon and it is usually very cloudy here. We get more rain and cloudy days than even Portland. (Today we are getting snow though. Have about 5 inches right now and it is still snowing hard but this is a rare occurrence.) I have 2, 42 watt CFLs pointed at each tree which has helped but my trees will continue to drop leaves until I can get them outside. I haven't had the trees for a year yet though so I guess I can be glad I haven't killed them yet! lol!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Thankfully, I haven't had any twig die-back...but I won't count my chickens before they've hatched. We have another two months before the trees can start spending time outdoors. Until then, I'll just try to keep up on the watering and fertilizing/flushing.

Josh

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Blood oranges are extremely susceptible to low light damage and probably should not be grown indoors in any area that gets more than 10% cloudy days. I am currently rescuing a blood orange for a friend, after total leaf drop and trunk die-back.

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

I can't overwinter Citrus in the house, too warm, so,they stay in the garage and are much happier. Yeah, it gets cold..but are still happier than inside with me. We can't wait till Spring though!

• Saorise_2013
    10 years ago

Steve: Dang.... :-( Makes sense that my blood orange is doing so crappy then. Thank you for letting me know. Hopefully it can hang on for the next 2-3 years ( or maybe longer :-/ ) till I can move to a place where I can get a greenhouse for it. Not including the pot it is around 5 feet tall ( it is getting shorter though due to the branches dying) and has 8 oranges on it so I definitely want to try to keep it going.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Would any of my past setups work for you. The box below is what I am using now. You could use a closet sectioned off with white cardboard with a floor lamp shining down.

{{gwi:557507}}
    All seed grown; 4 sweetlee tangerines, kumquats- a meiwa & a nagami bush or shrubs

The link below shows what has been work very well for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg101613462758.html

• Saorise_2013
    10 years ago

That is so awesome Steve! I wish I had room for something like that, or had room in a closet for them. My trees are in front of a southwestern facing window where the sun is partially blocked during the day due to part of the house jutting out further than the window. All I have room for are two floor lamps that each have 3 CFL bulbs in them. I aim two of them at each of my trees. It may not do much but I guess it is better than nothing! lol! When I am able to live somewhere where I can have more room I will definitely come to you for suggestions on how to keep them alive indoors. It will most likely be awhile before I settle down into a house where I can finally get a greenhouse. :-(

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Saorise If you can aim these lamps then getting the CFL's as spot or flood lights as used in recess lighting, You can direct most of the bulbs light on the tree. That should do all you need.

Steve

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!