Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

What do you think of this Fertilizer for Citrus?

puglvr1
10 years ago

Hi, I purchased this at Walmart, its manufactured by "Sunniland" according to the back of the bag (though the sunniland's brand of citrus fertilizer says 6-4-6? This Rite Green is 4-6-8. I have them planted inground and are young...newly planted to almost 4 years old..

I think that Sunniland might manufacture Rite Green for Walmart, but its just a guess...

Is this # fine for these Citrus? Meyer Lemon, a Dancy & Satsuma, Kumquat and Calamondin?

It does say on the bag that it has zinc, maganese, iron and boron.

What do you guys think? Is this okay or would I be better off with the actual Sunniland 6-4-6? Any comments or opinions? Thanks!!

Comments (15)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Citrus generally need a fertilizer with an NPK ratio of 5-1-3; the Meyer, when bearing fruit, needs a ratio more like 3-1-2. With either of these you also need Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, and Zinc. I wouldn't buy the fertilizer in your photo for citrus.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello Nancy!!! Look at you go with all those fruit trees..I wish..So good to see you here these days..Please keep coming..

John is quite the Citrus grower owning over thousands of them...I great producer of Meyer fruit..
    Patty another whom does awesome with hers..Maybe she will be by...
    A few fantastic in gorund growers here will be a great benefit to you!

Hoping you have a wonderful; warm day! It's going to be frigid all week here again..I'm done with it.....Thank God I have a greenhouse to be sane by!
    I hear a freind of mine living in Germany is having the wamest winter they have ever had..That explains our frigid weather week after week!

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks John! Appreciate your help... Back to the drawing board,lol...

Hey Mike, Thanks! Hoping you guys get a much needed break from this awful winter!

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Puglvr

I am almost always in disagreement with Johnmerr on fertilizing citrus it seems. But it looks like that bag has way too much phosphorous (middle number). That will build up and may result in tying up your micros. We use mostly 6-2-4 (3-1-2) but younger trees can handle a little more nitrogen.

Just remember, on the Gulf Coast we need to limit our growing due to possible freezes, and in the milder Pacific climates they need to juice theirs up with more N. And they do that with late season applications.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tantanman, I found some 6-4-6 both Vigoro and Sunniland makes the same exact formula., I've called a couple of nursery that sells Citrus trees and also grow them and was told this should be fine for my location and my sandy soil...I'll pick up one of these...There's not a large selection of Citrus fertilizers around here and I'm not willing to pay for the outrageous shipping charges to get them,lol...locally will have to do.

Thanks to John also for his great insights, advise and help. Its always appreciated!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Oh Pug!! Its' just horrible...I was looking at the next 10 days outlook and I don't even see a 32 degree reading..I just don't understand why it's been so brutal far too long!
    I blame it on the jetstream..The same one that better not dip to far south again and hit you..

I love your plants!

MIke

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Puglvr1

I don't use a "citrus fertilizer" I use just a plain old organic gardener's fertilizer that just happens to be good for citrus.

You say you have a sandy soil, so I suggest you use a good mulch to add to that. Use one of the "native mulches" made locally, from twigs. A slightly acid one that is good for azaleas may be good. You should not have slow growth when using a good mulch, as it should provide all the trace nutrients your soil needs.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Mike...OMG! your weather sounds awful! SO sorry, I wish I can send you some of this sunshine and low 80's...we do have a cold front coming tonight but is a short lived one and its only technically a "cool front" since its only dipping to the upper 60's for highs and 50 degrees at night! By Saturday we're in the 80's again, way too hot for Feb. even in FL...

Best of luck! Keeping fingers crossed for Spring weather for you guys soon!

Tantanman, thanks will look into that...Not sure why the local nurseries and all the Citrus Groves in my area when asked if adding mulch around my Citrus (like I do with all my Mango and Lychee) trees is a good idea and all have said not to add it to Citrus, they claim they don't like their roots covered up? SO confusing,lol....

I add Pine Bark Mulch on my Mango trees and one lychee, I don't have access to small twigs unfortunately...

• ronniepuddle
    10 years ago

It is 8 degrees in Marblehead MA and as therapy I just bought a lemon tree and a lime tree. Both are bearing fruit. Both have tons of flowers. The lemon trees leaves are yellowing a tiny bit. I really like adding a liquid fertilizer to my water to feed my plants, It is just what I am comfortable with. Can some one please specifically recommend a brand name I can buy on amazon? Not too many citrus dealers in the NE. The ratio thing has me all confused. I found this one recommended on this forum today:

(Dyna-Gro - Foliage - Pro
    by Dyna
    Size: 8Oz
    A high nitrogen formula with essential minerals plants need for vigorous growth
    Foliage-Pro 9-3-6)

I plan to keep them as container plants for obvious reasons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dyna Gro 9-3-6 should be excellent for Container Citrus and many other container plants as well...I use it on almost all my container plants.

Dynamite brand makes a Citrus Fertilizer as well...its a slow release and there's Osmocote and a few others have recommended for potted citrus.

For inground trees I have to use granular as Dyna gro would be too costly...

Below is the list of the different types of Dynamite plant food...scroll down to the Palm/Citrus

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite Citrus Fertilizer...

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BTW, does anyone know appx. how many growth flushes a Citrus has on (average) in a growing season, say from March through Oct...2, 3? Lemon trees and tangerine specifically...Thanks!!

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Nancy:

Master gardeners or organic gardening groups they will know if anybody makes a decent partially composted native mulch. It is seldom at a retail nursery supply store. That stuff will solve your growth problems. Just use about an inch and a half and keep it away from the trunk about eight inches to a foot.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Hey, Tantanman...a notable friend to Mayan Meyer Lemons... I don't understand how you say you almost always disagree with me about fertilizer; and then you say you use 3-1-2... which is exactly what I use and always recommend... at least for Meyers. I don't pretend to know much about the others, except that the conventional "wisdom" is that citrus like 5-1-3.

My specially prepared mix is 18-6-12 with 2% Mg and Ca, and 1% Fe and Zn. My mature producing Meyers get 3 pounds of that per year in January, May, and September; but that is in tropical conditions with no real Winter or danger of frost.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Hey, Tantanman...a notable friend to Mayan Meyer Lemons... I don't understand how you say you almost always disagree with me about fertilizer; and then you say you use 3-1-2... which is exactly what I use and always recommend... at least for Meyers. I don't pretend to know much about the others, except that the conventional "wisdom" is that citrus like 5-1-3.

My specially prepared mix is 18-6-12 with 2% Mg and Ca, and 1% Fe and Zn. My mature producing Meyers get 3 pounds of that per year in January, May, and September; but that is in tropical conditions with no real Winter or danger of frost.

• MrClint
    10 years ago

Since you already bought the fertilizer, I would go ahead and use it, but supplement with fish emulsion to kick the N up a little bit more. Note that I would use a light fertilizer hand and rake the product into the soil a bit.