Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackieras2

Best Lemon for Hot Hot Texas

jackieras2
11 years ago

I grow many of my plants in containers so I can control the amount of Houston's blazing sun they receive. Now I want to try a container grown lemon and I am leaning towards a Meyer, but others have suggested I find a Texas native lemon, which I understand are not as fruitful as a Meyer nor are they as tasty.

Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Comments (6)

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Once you have a Meyer, no other lemon will ever be good enough for you. As for the heat, I have 16,000 Meyers in the tropics and they love it.

• jackieras2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your response Johnmerr, I appreciate you help. A Meyer lemon it shall be.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Gardenlady, there's no such thing as a Texas native lemon. They are native to Asia and the Middle East. Meyer Lemons are everywhere right now, and I suggest you call around and ask for a dwarf Meyer lemon, they will stay smaller than the regular grafted ones and are better for containers. Buchanan's had some but I don't know if they still do. You don't have to worry about the hot sun here, everyone grows them in the ground, including me, and have never had any problems, not with heat, drought, or those two Januaries when we had the abnormal freezes. Same with just about any citrus except limes, they are more sensitive to freezes than other citrus. Mine is about 10 years old, and I usually get around 250-300 lemons and give almost all of them away. A dwarf would not produce that many, but who needs that many?

• sugar_land_dave
    11 years ago

Meyer lemon is somewhat bland to me. It has no zest, no slap in the face! If you don't want a traditional lemon, there are some Ujukitsu in the Houston area this year. They are a sweet fruit sometimes called "the lemonade lemon."

• sugar_land_dave
    11 years ago

If you don't mind a lemon which tastes like a lemon, a Lisbon Lemon tree would be nice. It has purple new growth and blooms.

• aslan89
    11 years ago

I'm with you ^ I have a Lisbon Lemon tree that is doing fantastic here in zone 9b. To me the Lisbon lemon is what a lemon should be, it's just like the lemons you buy at the store. Don't get me wrong, Meyer lemons are awesome but I just prefer a regular lemon :)