Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marrme

Al's Gritty Mix and spidermites on the East Coast?

marrme
10 years ago

Hi all from a longtime lurker/first time poster! I've been reading so much about Al's Gritty Mix that I am seriously considering repotting all my plants including a plumeria into this amazing mix. However, I live in the tri-state and so every winter, I drag my trees in and they all get a soapy bath to wash off any critters that may proliferate. And every year, I get a nice swarm of spider mites that usually hit a month after I bring it indoors. I keep it under control using alcohol wipes, showers, soap mixes wiped on but they always comes back. I've even tried drowning them by submerging them in warm water with epson salt for an hour (as per someone's suggestion on the internet..) which didn't seem to do much. Misting twice a day helps but I still have to wipe down the trees weekly. Does Al's Gritty Mix promote spider mites since its designed to not retain water and spider mites thrive on dry air?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to get get the ingredients for Al's Gritty Mix around the TriState area. I've only seen Miracle-Gro brand orchid pine bark in stores but I know everyone says to stay away from Miracle Gro. I *think* MeyerMike lives around me, could you perhaps point me in the right direction?

Thanks all!!!!

Comments (12)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello Marrme and welcome..

Are you getting tired of this crappy winter yet? Just got another 8 inhes of snow and my trees are just about to throw in the towel along with me...

No, Al's mix does not encourage mites and in fact discourages them...If you are growing healthy plants which is a by product of healthy roots and the mix which is quite porous, they should leave your tree alone like as they do mine..
    What I would do if I have any flare up which is almost certain on any houseplant in winter, is spray them with natural pesticide or anything with natural oils in it...But very lightly and often. At least every three days for at least two weeks making sure to hit under the leaves, all over your pots and on the soil.
    You are bound to loose bud and flowers if you do this, but worth the pay off to control them at least until spring when you can bring them outside.

Try Rosemary Oil with a natural soapy water..It works wonders for mine and smells great.

Now as for the ingredient find for the 1.1.1 mix.

Why not give the 5.1.1 mix a try first?
    It works just the same and it's eaiser to judge when to water. The pots are usually much lighter too.
    The ingredients are much easier to find and the mix much easier to make..

The only downside is that you have to repot sooner than if you used the gritty one because the 5.1.1 breaks down at a much faster rate than the 5.1.1 mix..This can be solved by repotting more often, that's all.

Let me know..

It's good to see that you did all that reading before you invested in these magnificent trees..Good thinking!

Mike

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mike,

Its so great to finally converse with you instead of just reading everyone else's comments and trying to apply it to my situation!

Yes, I am quite sick of the snow and rain. Its supposed to hit 50-60 this week and then take a nose dive back in the 20s next week... My plants are in a bright sunny room and budding all over the place but the new leaves are very large and look out of place. Hopefully they'll be back outside soon, though.

Can you recommend a natural pesticide? I've tried Dawn mixed with water every 3 days for a couple weeks before but that doesn't seem to do anything beyond washing them off. I've also tried commercial soap mixes but I haven't ventured into the chemical pesticides yet. I actually have Rosemary essential oil so I will go home and try that. What concentration do you recommend?

As far as the mix goes (I'm so excited!), I wanted to try the 1.1.1 vs the 5.1.1. because I figured then I don't have to worry about compression. My plants don't grow very fast so I figured I would save myself some work but if you think the 5.1.1 will be easier for a beginner like me then I will start planning for that instead!

Thanks for all your help Mike!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

That's great!

I use about 20 drops of Rosemary OIl in a 32 ounce sprayer and I use a much less abrasive soap to emulsify the oil like Dove...I never have an issue with mites this way if I keep up..You could also invest in Neem Oil and use a little of both in a sparyer..That too works great!

What ingredients have you been able to locate in your area?
    Have you found Turface, or Pumice, or Perlite or peat, or bark....Let me know:-)
    What kind of soil mixes? Do you have access to the Fafard Mixes?

Mike

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dove as in the body soap? I've never thought of that! How much Dove do you use? And how do you keep up? Every 2-3 days initially for 2 weeks, then as needed? Or do you still spray every once in awhile even if you don't see anything? I'm going to look into Neem oil, I've definitely heard of it before but I don't remember why I didn't go that route.

I have Perlite, I've seen peat (peat moss, right?) and I'm going to look for the other ingredients at this place that sells chicken when it opens for the spring. I think they sell goats, too! I haven't seen Fafard but I'm hoping I'll find random stuff at the shop (I think its called Atco or something like that) once it opens. There's also a Napa near me somewhere. Is there anywhere you like to frequent?

My current plants are all potted in Miracle-gro citrus mix (I know, I'm terrible - I'm trying to change, I promise!) mixed with 20% reptile bark and 33% perlite. They've been okay so far but like I said, I'm a convert after reading all these threads!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

lololo..I never meant Dove..It's a good thing you caught that!
    I meant to say 'Ivory' dishwashing soap...I use about 5 drops in the 32 ounce sprayer...Sheesh!

Yes. Exactly! Make sure to hit every leaf..Every once in a while, like let's say once a month I treat all trees anyway just to avoid any type of onset..Sort of a maintenence thing.

Yes one part GOAT and one part of everything else..lol
    Just kidding..Let me know when you find any ingredients and then we can make something just like the 1.1.1 or 5.1.1 of an amended version of either..It will be real easy..

Perlite is a HUGE start.

Napa store will usually have floor dry comparable to Turface and Pumice, sort of an inbetween..Make sure it does not fall apart when water touches it.
    Agway has all the bark fines you need...It's their own blue bag consisting of southern pine bark.
    The pet store might have big bags of Fir Bark.
    Grain stores usually carry Turface Mvp and or chicken grit growers size without crushed shells..It's pure crushed granite.
    Pool supply stores carry washed coarse sand..Very good stuff.
    The local Nursery might have a heavy mix that contains mostly bark.
    You can find Fafard at most Hydroponics stores and or look online to see who your local sellers are..
    Pumice and or Turface can also be found at local Bonsai shops..

Your current mix is far superior than just a bagged mix and I can tell you had drainage in mind..Good job..But I am afraid if you don't change your trees out of it by next fall, it will go bust, decompose and compact...

The 5.1.1 mix will only require a bunch of bark and perlite..

The 1.1.1 is easy to amend if you can't find all the actual ingredients..

Looks like you have plans for this spring, just like me.

MIke:-)

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, that's funny! I always get those two mixed up for some random reason, too! I'll pick some up today.

I asked my husband, he says the local nursery is called Agway, so I will definitely stop by when they open. Are the bark fine pieces the size I need or will I need additional methods to break them down?

I don't think we have any bonsai shops near us, though. :(

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

lol..I know..

Listen..If you go to Agway, make sure it's their brand for 7 dollars...It will say southern pine bark on it....

The label is Blue..If you need a pic, I will gladly take one for you when I get a chance...I think if you do a search here on Agway Bark, it might pull up..Let me see:-)

Found it....This is EXACTLY what you need..It's the only place that I can buy mine...As you can see through the back, practically all the bark is sized just right!

Here is a link that might be useful: Agway Mulch....

• L
    10 years ago

I don't know where you're located - but I know I found Turface (which is usually the hard-to-find ingredient for many folks) at a "John Deere Landscapes" which are all over the state. Chicken grit is available at all Tractor Supplys I've been in.

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike - Thank you so much for all your help. I'm going to stop by Agway and pick some up. Once I have all the ingredients assembled, I'll contact you and perhaps you can help me make up an acceptable mix. Would it be okay if I emailed you if I have more questions? I can't wait until I can stand outside without freezing my ears off! Today was a nice 48 :) Oh how our expectations have fallen...

lkg - Thanks so much for the tips! I googlemapped John Deere and there is one about a half hour away from me. I'm going to look for chicken grit at Agway. The closest Tractor's Supply is about an hour from me according to googlemaps so hopefully Agway has it.

• pecanman
    10 years ago

Lime-sulphur spray is good for controling mites. It is an insecticide fungicide and miticide. Has gave me excellent control.

• marrme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is the lime sulfur spray safe for edibles? Is there a brand that you prefer? Thanks!!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Pecan,which one do you use and can one buy it anywhere?

Is is safe to use indoors or only outside?

Thank you