Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

WninterFUN! Please post pics of your now blooming citrus:-)

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

It has been such a drab around my area latey, with everything being brown and white and all outdoor plants asleep, I am grateful for our plants that give us pleasure in-doors! This is the first full sunny day in days.

I have been amazed at the amount of blossoms coming on to some of my "home" citrus that I wanted to share.

Please share yours too and don't forget to mention the type of tree so we can see if all of ours are blooming at the same time or, in the same areas.

Yes, even if yours are outside, I would love to see them too!:-)

Let's try and to make this thread very fragrant..

Washington seedless navel. I see little buds coming!

{{gwi:564022}}

{{gwi:564023}}

{{gwi:564024}}

One of my ponderosa trees I am training to stand tall.

{{gwi:564025}}

{{gwi:564027}}

My calamondin just starting to break out in bloom

{{gwi:564029}}

{{gwi:564030}}

My tiny "red ruby" grapefruit cutting just starting...

{{gwi:564031}}

{{gwi:564032}}

My "Oro Blanco grapefruit" busting out with blooms still hanging on to one fruit.

{{gwi:564033}}

{{gwi:564034}}

{{gwi:70766}}

{{gwi:564035}}

{{gwi:70765}}

{{gwi:70764}}

I can't wait to see yours too! Fun in the darbbiest part of winter, that is of course if you hate the cold.

Mike:-)

Comments (20)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    13 years ago

Hey mike! Ill add a few.
    meyer lemon, first bloom
    {{gwi:564036}}

naval orange, first bloom

{{gwi:564037}}
    key lime, looking a little skinny
    {{gwi:564038}}
    meyer lemon, just about done. got a few yellow leaves.
    {{gwi:564039}}
    armstrong satsuma, just barely pushing blossoms. first time since i have owned it.
    {{gwi:564040}}

the snow is melting a bit, however we have 6-10 more inches coming wednesday. What joy. the kids have been out of school for over a week now. At this rate they will be in school till June. That has never happened.

mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Nice pics, Mikes! ;-)
    I just wish I had some blooms to share.
    Maybe this warmer weather will kick them into gear!

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very NICE Mike...they all look great and happy! I don't have any blooms either. My Meyer lemon was damaged by the freeze, so "if" it recovers it will take several months **sigh**.
    My Kumquat is still loaded with fruits...I really don't eat them,lol. I just love the tree for ornamental purposes. Although last year I made some kumquat jam. Once I pick the fruits maybe it will start blooming.

I hope the snow stops falling soon...I know you can't wait till Spring just like me! Stay warm (if its possible)!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures!!

Hey Josh!

• donaldb
    13 years ago

Same NOID that we just got through picking fruit from the first week in January.
    [IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd492/barkingspaniel/DSC05290.jpg[/IMG]

• donaldb
    13 years ago

Blossoms from the NOID that bore fruit in early January:
    {{gwi:564042}}
    {{gwi:564044}}
    {{gwi:564046}}
    {{gwi:564049}}
    {{gwi:564051}}

• va_canuck
    13 years ago

Key lime has been gradually flowering for the last 2 months..... eureka lemon has been flowering like mad for the last few weeks. Thompson pink seedless grapefruit, persian lime, and red navel orange have not begun yet. I'll get some pics on here too.

The smell in the greenhouse when the orange tree flowers is overpowering.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very nice Mike!

You say the leaves are yellowing a bit? Meyer is notorious for this! The first thing I walways make sure of is that the mix is evenly moist at all times and not over watered. Then from there a get rid of other possibilities one at a time.
    I love your trees Mike. I can almost smell them;-)

Hey Josh! Thanks. Just as soon as yours flower, which I can't wait, please post them. I bet you will be so excited to see your first buds start to appear!:-)

Nancy:

Thank you, thank you. You ahve helped me get them to be what they are today. Goodness, I am with you. I can't wait until teh cold takes off for good!

I am so sorry that your trees were hurt like that. What a hard winter you have had. It is not suppose to ne that way.
    I just heard that parts of Oklahoma got over 14 inches of snow. The worst snow total amounts since the 1920's.
    It seems to be creeping ever so closer to Florida.
    Good to see you;-0)

Don: Wow! I would love to meet up with you sometime and have a great citrus discussion and see what yours look like. It seems you are doing a great job with yours too. Bravo.
    Your flowers are such a soft looking white.

Va: I can't wait to see your pictures. Please don't forget us.

Mike:-)

13 years ago

hey mike.

hows this for crazy weather. At 7:30 am today it was -12 at my house. One of my co-workers lives about 40 miles north where it was -27. Next thursday we are predicted to be in the mid 60's. They always say "if you dont like our weather just wait a few days and it will change." Hard part is keeping the greenhouse at a somewhat consistent temperature and light level. yesterday I had to keep my homemade cover on it to keep in the heat at 60 degrees(no sun and snowing) today the sun is going to be out all day and Im sure it will get up to 80+ in there. My trees have to be confused.

Mike

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

It will be a month before I have anything blooming to photograph. All my citrus just have the faint beginnings of buds. And because I keep things on the cool side, many of them look awful and have lost most of their leaves - none are as photo worthy as what you guys have posted.

mksmth - I'm originally from Oklahoma. I don't miss the weather. I was going to say that when I go home to Norman there is a garden center on Sooner Road where I have bought many large citrus and hauled home to Raleigh, NC. People see my large orange trees and tree ferns and can't believe I bought them in OK, or that I fit them into my truck and drove them across the country.

13 years ago

how cool john. Im in Tulsa. We have a couple nurseries that sell large citrus but they are too proud of them and charge way too much. I get mine at lowes and homedepot and have had good luck.

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

They had 4-5 foot tree ferns for $49 each. I bought all I could cram into a Toyota Tacoma. At some point along the ride home I stopped, bought a pair of garden shears and chopped off most of their fronds so they would fit better. That's five feet of stalk above the soil line. They weighed a ton but I was determined. The same plant in Raleigh cost $330. I got a head high Washington Navel for something like $39. I think they ship things up from the Texas coast.

The truck is too old to make the trip anymore and I often get the best price flying in and out of Tulsa - I know the area well. I hope this is the last blizzard of the year. You guys deserve a break.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey John:

I am crazy about ferns that big! Do you winter them inside and then outside in summer? Or is your weather warm enough to plant in-ground?

I would love to see a picture of these plants. I just love them John.

Also, please, when your citrus bloom, post pics.

I think Oklahoma is getting Siberian weather too. Weird!

Good to see you again.

Hi Mike:-)

Mike

• trianglejohn
    13 years ago

At my old house I could leave them outside for all but about 4 months of the year. They can take a light frost. They spent their time in the shade of very tall oaks around the house. The yard had only one tiny spot of almost full sun and thats where the potted citrus and guavas lived as well as the normal in-the-ground veggies. At my new house (1 year as of today) I have very little shade and lots of wind (just like OK) so the tree ferns are sheltered along with the rest of the tropicals. I started off with 5 big ferns and lost all but 2 to the high heat and drought last summer along with some sort of mealy bug investation. waaaaaaaaaa

A warning about using them near where you walk to sit - the species I have give off very itchy 'hairs'. You can't brush against them without noticing it.

I can't believe that more folks don't grow potted citrus here. The warmth and humidity suit them well as patio plants and most of the time our winters are mild (frosty nights with 50 degree days). There are a few that grow in-the-ground types, but not as many as you'd think.

13 years ago

john

Sounds like you did well getting them home. We used to make annual trips to Florida before I got into citrus. Now that I am we dont visit that way anymore. Probably a good thing because Im sure I would have to rent a U-haul to bring home all the trees I would buy, LOL. We have had Record lows and snowfall all across the state. It has not been fun!

Mike

• donaldb
    13 years ago

Mike. I'm going to the New Hampshire Orchid Society's show
    2-11 and being a member at Tower Hill I attend a lot of their functions. Bear in mind. I only have that one tree but am waiting for March and will take a trip to Logee's and see what they have. Happy Growing. The sun is getting higher and my sunroom is now getting into the low 80s during the day.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes Don! I love that place. I meet there once a month since I am a member of the C$S society.

I hope to see you there sometime.

What day is the Orchid show and where? That sounds so nice.

Have a great time and yes, finally the sun is making a big difference. My plants are showing signs of appreciation..

I go to Logee's all the time and so does Mrlike4u. Just don't even look at the grafted Avacados, or you will wish you had baought one if you don't...lol

Mike

• deewillis
    13 years ago

Hi Mike, your citrus plants looks very healthy and pretty flower buds. I love its fragrant. You have mentioned mix 1-1-1. Do you mind to share the recipe
    Your help would be appreciated.
    Dee in Austin, TX

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Dee:-)

Let me hook you up with a couple of links that will explain the mix to a tee and what the ingredients are. I hope this helps you. The bottom link shows the experience of one that just starting using the 1.1.1 mix.

Happy growing

All about container and water movement. This will help you understand how water behaves in containers.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/contain/msg0316064615891.html?107

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: The gritty mix and learning experience.

• jenn
    12 years ago

WOW!!! The leaves on your plants are so beautifully GREEN! Are all of them in the gritty mix?

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jenn:

Thank you very much. Yes, for the most part all the big ones are in the gritty mix and some smaller ones are in the 5.1.1 mix.

Grow well:-)

Mike