Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyndanorthcoast

Sticky Leaves, But No "Bugs" on Improved Meyer Lemon

lyndanorthcoast
10 years ago

Potted in gritty mix, third winter indoors, lost baby fruit but no leaves when I brought her inside last October. In a bright, SouthEast window, with one lemon ready to pick. Temp between 65 and 70F. Lots of new buds coming, FP on regular watering schedule. Misted erratically, but it looks like i have misted with sugar water! About 1/2 of the leaves are normal. But, many leaves are dotted/splotched with spots and/or dots of sticky substance - some leaves are exuding tiny droplets on the underside of the leaf as well. Otherwise, looks very healthy. I have used a magnifying glass on stems, trunk and leaves and see NO pests. Should I head for the shower, cover the pot, and give her a good rinse; or is something sinister going on?

Comments (9)

• citrange2
    10 years ago

"I have used a magnifying glass on stems, trunk and leaves and see NO pests."
    Would you recognise a scale insect?

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Most likely cause is spider mites, which are very small and move pretty quickly. You won't see the characteristic web threads until the population gets larger. I use a 10X loop and I can usually spot them with that. Washing is the simplest remedy; so is moving the tree to outside; doing both will usually solve the problem, until you bring it back inside in the Fall. Best to give it a good wash a cupla times before bringing it inside again.

• lyndanorthcoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your advice. I have a 10X loop and will try examining with that. I'm hoping a couple of indoor showers will do the trick. I'll also follow your shower idea before bringing her back inside this fall. Thanks, again.

• citrange2
    10 years ago

I think scale insects are the most likely culprits. I'm not aware of any spider mite species producing sticky leaves.
    Scale insects definitely squirt this sticky liquid in a particular direction, and patches can fall some distance from the originating insect. I see you have nearby potted plants, possibly at a higher level. Therefore, you need to also check these for scale insects, otherwise your problem could be repeated after the shower!

• lyndanorthcoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Citrange, for your note. The other plants, "Christmas cactuses" are about a foot away from the lemon. I didn't think scale could "jump" like that, but your suggestion is definitely worth investigating. I will examine them. No plants are hanging over the lemon.

• lyndanorthcoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Citrange, you were spot on! Put on my headband flash light, and used magnifying glass. I looked just above the stickiest leaves and discovered their favorite twigs (youngish, green) and best hiding spots (along veins on underside of leaves). Then I spotted the little devils. Now the eradication begins. Thanks for the tip.

• garret_87
    10 years ago

My tree gets scale every winter, so I know how to deal with them successfully now. What does the trick is neem oil or horticulture spray. This will smother and kill the scales, then reapply in 7 days to smother any newly emerging babies and eggs. Clean leaves of the sticky goo (mold can grow on that). This should take care of the problem.

• lyndanorthcoast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have ordered my neem oil. I really appreciate input from other web users. My tree is SO ready to flush and I don't want all the new growth to be messed up with scale! Garret_87, I hope I'm in time.