Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citrus tree not producing fruits

Posted by msharifi none (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 14:17

Hi all,

I have a citrus tree in front of the house that was there when I bought the house. the tree looks healthy but it has not produced any fruit since 2010 when I bought the house.

The try has gotten taller but still no fruit.

What causes this and what can I do to fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citrus tree not producing fruits

Do you know what type citrus it is? How big was it when you bought the house; and how big is it now? Have you fertilized it; should be fed at least 3 times per year.
Depending on the variety and the rootstock some citrus might not produce fruit for maybe 7 years. If you can provide a little more specific information and maybe post a picture or two, there are lots of experienced people here who can help you.

o

It was about 3-4 feet I don't know what time of citrus but neighbor said its mandarin . Yes I have fertilized the tree ever since Feb 2010 I also used spike but still no fruit.

Here is a pic of tree
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I guess theres a chance it could be a seedling tree, which means it will go through a long juvenile phase where it will not fruit. Thats not very common but occassionally a homeowner will sprout a citrus from seed. I can't really tell but it looks like there might be a bud union at the base of the tree, if so it is not a seedling tree.

Other than at, it looks pretty shady in that spot. It should be in full sun. Has it ever produced flowers?

o

It gets full sun I was taking picture sun was taking picture the lens had shade. It has never flowered. The tree was bought what my neighbor said.

o

Could be a pixie mandarin; pretty slow growing and may need up to 5 years to produce fruit. The tree looks healthy; so I would think it is just a matter of patience.

o

I should put my Axe near the tree to scare it..

o

The axe is not a bad idea; but I doubt it will help much.
I would paint the trunk up to the first branch; while the tree is small and there is so much trunk exposed to the sun, there is always a danger of sunburn of the trunk, which could kill the tree. Use the cheapest white latex paint you can get; and dilute it 1 to 1 with water.

o

I will have to try that Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here