Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Bearss Lime in 5-gal nursery pot - repot now, or later?

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 14:55

We have a new Bearrs Lime we purchased last week. It's still in the 5-gallon nursery pot.

I'm wondering if I should pot it up now into a slightly larger pot, or wait until next year if it is not root-bound or the roots aren't growing out the bottom. For now, it is sitting inside a larger glazed pot which will probably become its future home.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Bearss Lime in 5-gal nursery pot - repot now, or later?

This is a great time to re-pot in its more permanent pot, Jenn. I bet you'd be surprised at just how little root room is in the pot, once you re-pot it. Better to do now, that to wait until it is root-bound.

Patty S.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 16:42

Thank you, Patty. I'm thinking of potting it up to a slightly larger plastic pot that fits inside the ceramic pot. However, the ceramic pot isn't much larger than that, so it could go straight into the ceramic pot instead. Which do you think is best?

o

Could we see a photo of the tree? Does it have fruit? That would indicate perhaps the grower has "pushed" the tree to make fruit for selling it. Do you know what rootstock it is on? Where did you purchase it? Do you know what nursery produced it (tree tag?) Is there a reason you are not going to put it in the ground?

o

I think it would be fine in the ceramic pot, Jenn. John suggested posting photos. That does help. Snap a pic of your ceramic pot, too.

Patty S.

o

Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 9:30

John and Patty - I'll take pics today. thanks!

o

Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 22:10

I finally had a chance to take a picture today while battening down the hatches to prepare for The Big Rain arriving tomorrow.

I've chosen two different plastic pots, both of which fit into the ceramic pot on the far left. I'm leaning towards the plastic pot on the far right - it's just slightly larger than the other one, and a better fit for the root ball.

By the way, that's my tiny Nagami Kumquat (true dwarf) in the upper left corner. Since we bought it about 12 years ago, it's been in a very large pot, then a smaller (better size) pot, and finally planted in the ground more than a year ago. It's still small but loaded with fruit. I'm hoping it will grow taller this year.

o

Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 18:01

Bumping to show the photo.... :-)

o

Hey Jenn, I imagine you're not planting it now that socal has torrential downpours.

I, like you, got a dwarf bearss lime just a month ago. I repotted it in a 15 gal planter using the 5-1-1 mix. The little guy was majorly root bound. These dwarf varieties, which I believe yours is, are really vigorous. Mine has been pumping out flowers and fruits since.

And I'd say just stick the thing straight in the big ceramic pot. Ceramic stays cool while plastic will just keep absorbing heat and damage the roots. Even though the tree stays little (you can prune it to stay roughly the same size) it enjoys having room for the roots to grow.

Hope that helps!

o

Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 12:52

Thank you, Jay. My plan was to insulate the plastic pot by setting it inside the ceramic pot for a year or two, until the rootball is larger and a better fit for the ceramic pot.

My concern about planting it directly in the ceramic pot is the size of the pot itself - I'm wondering if it is too large for the rootball.

I'd like to grow it in the blue ceramic pot because we don't have a suitable spot for it in the yard at this time.

Thanks again!

o

I'd say it depends what the soil mix it was in is like.

I dont trust nursery soil as mine was packed in a very heavy clay when I got mine. Needless to say it got root rot and caused me a lot of bother.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here