Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

can you get potted citrus to produce fruit north

andyandy
11 years ago

I live in Michigan, I've been growing potted palms indoors/outdoors (as the weather allows) for years. What I'm wonding is if anyone in a zone 6 clmate has been able to get any potted oranges or other citrus to blossum and or fruit in a climate like mine.

thanx,
Andy

Comments (12)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

absolutely you can and quite easily too.
    out of the active members here I would say minimum 50% of us live where citrus need protection

Meyer Mike is in new england. and I think his name here is tmc(something) he also is in new england and both of them have successfully grown fruit in very un-citrus like weather.

Now you may never get laundry baskets full of fruit like some of our good friend in California and Florida, but you will get some to eat.

I grow plumeria, banana, citrus, palms and other things also and Im in 7a.

you would treat them very similar to your palms

mike

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike-
    Thank you for the insight, I'll be sure to give it a try. Hopefully we're going to turn the corner here soon. I'm sick of the 20s.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Andy!

Oh, you can for sure! One year I picked 13 fresh oranges and shared. They were VERY sweet and seedless.
    Then another time I picked 12 grapefruits and they were delicious.
    Another, I grew at least 25 limes and yet another lots of meyer lemons.

How sweet and juicy they are can be quite tricky in our climates because it depends on what the time of the season they ripen and how cold or warm the temps are. It varies in taste.

Mike

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

Sure can...I have lemons, kumquats, and limes. A lot of citrus fruit ripens indoors in winter, although the kumquats are year round and some other citrus are, too. Ask questions, you'll get lots of help here!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Manderin1...

What's so good about Kumquats? I still don't have one of these trees.lol
    Is the fruit sweet? Is it juicy? Easy to grow?

Thank you!

MIke:-)

• krismast
    11 years ago

Mike,

Kumquats are amazing! The fruit has a pleasantly tart flavor and the peel is uniquely sweet. It sounds weird but you eat the whole thing at once. You don't need to peel them! I feel like I have to get a tree soon!

Kristopher

• User
    11 years ago

Kumquats are vastly easier to grow indoors compared to oranges, lemons, limes, etc.. They are also very cold hardy. They are also MUCH less inclined to get any bugs--really! They also hold their leaves better than Citrus. I don't think I have every had bugs on kumquats. They also stay smaller--a plus in a pot. You eat the skins and flesh on these.--Try that with an orange! I can't sing their praises any higher.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Well, you have both have convinced me to give this a try! Thank you.

Mike

• User
    11 years ago

Meyermike, there are oval kumquats (Nagami) and round ones (Meiwa). I prefer the Nagami. The ever popular 'Calamondin' (those small 'orange' trees you frequently see for sale, are actually, most likely, a hybrid (kumquat x madarin (I believe). The Calamondin itself is a great little tree. The advantage over the kumquat is that its flowers are very fragrant. The one thing I miss with the kumquats is the sweet, orange fragrance. The Calamondin too has culinary uses. I have used Calamondin as a secret ingredient in some dishes and the flavor it imparts is distinct and quite agreeable. Still, kumquats are even easier and more trouble-free as houseplants or indoor/outdoor trees in the North.

(My citrus will soon be coming into bloom now. Start in February and peak in early to mid April.--I can't wait!)

• mandarin1
    11 years ago

Hi Mike, I didn't know much about kumquats when I bought it, but everything that njoasis said! Don't tell my other trees, but my Meiwa has become my favorite...it's a pretty tree, easy, hardy, fruits almost all year, ripens faster than most, and I like to eat the fruit whole. Meiwa supposedly has the sweetest skin. I was seriously thinking about going with a kumquat, limequat, lemonquat, mandarinquat...lol! If someone asked me what to start with as an intro to citrus, I would absolutely suggest a kumquat.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    11 years ago

Hey Mike

I have a Fukushu Kumquat. So far the taste doesnt "wow" me but it is good. The rind is sweet and the flesh is a bit tart. However, I think youll love this, It flowers almost every month. Its flowering right now. The blooms are very fragrant. I think you would love the smell. Ill try my hand at rooting a cutting for you.

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

All this Kumquat talk is driving me to want one badly!

Of course I would love a very sweet one you can eat off the tree like sweet grapes. while at the same time I would love one that flowers most profusely.

Mike, you know me well and thank you for doing that! I would love for you to root one for me:-)

Manderin! and Njoasis, thanks! I love your descriptions! You are all enabling me..lol

MIke