Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Safe to put Meyer Lemon Tree outside?

syntria
10 years ago

Hello! First time posting in this forum.

I just moved to a new house and I've kept my meyer lemon tree in doors for the past two months. It now has flowers and new leaves (lost many of it during the first frost when I left it outside).

For the next week, we won't get below 40 degrees, with avg highs being 60-70. Is it safe to put my potted lemon tree out or will it damage the new leaves and flowers if I leave it out overnight with temps ta 40?

My tree is about 3 years old with a trunk that's about 1.5inch thick.

I've picked off many of the flowers assuming it would help the new leaf growth.

Comments (9)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

It should be safe to leave it outside as long as the temps do NOT go below 34 degrees or frost isn't in the forecast. At the same time I would also suggest not to put it in direct sun for more than an hour or so for the very first day. You should acclimate it to full sun veeeery slowly since its been indoors or you can burn the leaves especially the tender new growths. I would extend the time in full sun very slowly adding an hour or so each day. Your highs of 60-70 degrees is definitely much better than summer time highs so this is a much better time of year to introduce it to full sun...just keep an eye on it and do it slowly...it might take about a week or so to get used to full sun outside from inside the house.

Just remember to bring it indoors once the temps dip below 34 or so to be on the safe side. Good luck!

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

This is a Meyer, so it is sensitive to light changes. I recommend you move it outside to full shade; after 2 weeks move it to partial shade; and after another 2 weeks move it to full sun. If you do that you should avoid the infamous leaf drop so common in moving in or out for a Meyer. Reverse the process in the Fall to bring it inside.
    I would not pick off the flowers; the tree will just make more flowers, using energy it needs for new growth. After the flowers are gone, if there is any fruit set, you can thin it to a few depending on the size and location of the fruit... or the plant might simply thin itself, although that is not often the habit of Meyers. If you can post a photo of the whole tree, and later of the small fruit (if any), we can give you better advice. Your flowers seem to lack the signature purple base of Meyer flowers; that could be because it has been inside, or it could be that the tree is immature, in which case the flowers will likely not set fruit.

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a picture of her from last year, best image I have on hand right now. Tomorrow I'll take a full picture of the tree.

I have a keylime tree but it's leaf-less, so I don't think it'll come back lol.

Thanks for telling me about adjusting it to the sun--I put it out on my balcony and its already gotten about 2 hours of direct sunlight outside before I moved it. It was getting about an hour of direct sunlight inside in the mornings on and off, scattered though. Probably gave it too much sun right off, I'll move it to a shader location.

I want to put it into a half-wine barrel this spring, it keeps blowing down in its current pot and I know its not got enough room.

Thank you for your responses. :)

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sooooo....

It was very windy today, and the tree probably got too much sun (2-3 hours).

No leaves on it. I'm bad at this I think. <_>{{gwi:565188}}
    High-Res http://i59.tinypic.com/11j53lt.jpg
    {{gwi:565190}}
    High-Res http://i58.tinypic.com/t8ndxj.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardening Videos

This post was edited by Syntria on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 18:42

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Don't despair, don't cut the flowers, but do give it a light fertilization with a good quality citrus fert.
    You can put it straight into full sun... you don't have to worry about leaf drop... you don't have any!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hello, Pug! :-)
    Great advice from Nancy and John.

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hey Josh!! Thanks!, Nice to see you :o)

• tantanman
    10 years ago

The new leaves are very tender. They will be damaged by a light frost or even a cold wind which will dry them out. Be extra careful.

• patti232323
    5 years ago

I just received a patio Meyer Lemon Tree as a gift. When I received it, our weather was too cold for it to go outside. I live in Chicago and our weather fluctuates incredibly. Within a week the temp jumped 30-40degrees. Today it’s going to be 96. The tree is in the house currently. While I know I should gradually put it in the sun, is it too hot to even put it in the shade.