Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

New growth on mandarin turning brown after foliar fertilizer

vp_78
10 years ago

Ugh what have I done??? A couple days ago I applied some GrowMore micronutrient fertilizer on new flush of leaves of my mandarin because the leaves were not greening up. Yesterday we got a little mini cold snap and some rain. Today I looked at my mandarin and the new buds are turning brown, and so are the new leaves, especially where leaves touch each other. Here are a few pics. Man, am I going to go another year with no mandarins? Did I kill all the new growth?

The first pic is of the blooms, and you can see brown where the bloom attaches to the stem as well as inside the bloom. The second pic shows a young leaf with a distinct brown spot on the edge.

{{gwi:565255}}

{{gwi:565256}}

Comments (3)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

I wouldn't fret too much over this. If you're worried, give your tree a good spray, and then try applying some granular fertilizer, as long as the tree's soil is moist (never apply granular fertilizer to a dry tree). I wouldn't worry too much about any chlorosis right now. It will be corrected after it warms up a tad, and the micro nutrients can be better taken up by the roots.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Maybe the temperature was too high when you applied your foliar. Almost any chemical will burn new leaves if applied at temperatures over about 75-80F. In my climate, which is warmer, I only apply chemicals very early in the morning.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Too, could be that your sun was just to hot at that time...?