Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Are "fingers" symptoms, mutations or genetic?

roseseek
11 years ago

I have a smattering of ignorance about citrus and can easily grow it here where I garden. I'm familiar with Buddah's Hand Citron and have recently encountered Eureka lemon fruit on a friend's tree which expressed nearly inch long "fingers" like Buddah's Hand. The piece of fruit had a significantly thickened rind with substantially reduced juice. It was an anomaly on the tree as all the other fruit were normal for what it commonly produces.

I've begun noticing Navel Oranges expressing increased "fingers" protruding from the "navel" in several of the local stores. The tissue generating these "fingers" appears to be a separate section of the fruit as I can easily separate it from the normal slices.

Now, my question, how does this all fit together? Is Buddah's Hand an original species, figuring into the breeding of the citrus types which express the "fingers"? Are the "fingers" part of the citrus genome and able to be expressed by various types when all the genes align properly? Is Buddah's Hand a mutation of lemon with the fingers developing to their maximum expression? Are the fingers symptoms of some disease or virus which can infect other citrus? Either that information isn't out there, or I haven't hit upon the proper question to search for. Might anyone be able to put all these pieces together, please? Thanks! Kim

Comments (4)