Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orangelime1

Your favorite citrus pic past or present

orangelime1
10 years ago

Hi gang I would really love to see your favorite citrus pic past or present. Here is mine why I don't know but I keep going back to look at it at least once a day . If you have a pic that you just can't keep your eyes off of ,please feel free to post it. This is a navel of mine a couple of years ago. Like I said not most beautiful pic but I always go back to it. Picture taken off of I pad not greatest quality.

Comments (33)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Even though I am after kumquats I have to admit that this is my favorit picture.

{{gwi:562286}}

Three seed grown sweetlee tangerine trees 53 weeks old

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve beautiful tangerine trees. It's funny Steve how we can become fixated on one picture. You definitely are the master of seed grown trees.

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

P.S and not to forget figs!!!

Brian

• krismast
    10 years ago

My meyer lemon taken about a week ago. It's been blooming nonstop since December. Needless to say, the house smells great!

Kris

This post was edited by krismast on Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 6:00

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Brian Thanks for the nice compliment. I probably have hundreds of pictures of the same 6 trees and it is interesting that there would be only four that are hard to chose from. As far as figs go, all you do is stick a 4+ inch twig and seal the cut end with toilet wax ring wax so it doesn't rot and you will be picking figs in 9 months.

Brian & Kris both you have great looking pictures.

Steve

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Steve I bet you if you were asked that same question again you would probably pick that same picture even though your other 3 pictures are probably just as nice or nicer.

Kris beautiful Meyer flowers. I think every bathroom on the planet should have a Meyer lemon tree , beautiful scent.

Brian

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Orangelime, that's a beautiful Navel orange tree...beautiful blooms!! Do you treat or spray your trees leaves for CLM? If you do please share what you use and tips...your tree looks very healthy!! Thanks!

Nice tangerine trees ponci, nice close up of the blooms Kris!

Here's my kumquat picture taken a few years ago...

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow this is why I posted this thread you guys are really following through with beautiful pictures. Sometimes it is nice to see the other side of citrus gardening the beauty.Puglvr 1 what a beautiful kumquat tree!! You can really tell that tree is given lots of love. That tree must smell amazing when in bloom. The picture of my navel was taken in the spring a couple of years ago. It was the first day outside of the greenhouse that's why there was a lot of grass in the pot . For some reason grass will grow in all my pots when they are in the greenhouse for the winter . In the spring I clean up the pots, wash the plants really well for dirt and bugs. 3 day job.I just water and fertilize regularly and I get great results.Thankyou Puglvr 1 for your nice comments.

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Puglvr 1 this is my navel tree at top of the post looking across at Detroit from Windsor Ontario . The navel is on the right Valencia on the left. These where my very first trees . Drove 5 hundred miles to buy them we'll worth it.I bought them from a huge nursery called Colasanti's just outside of Windsor what a place that is. You name it they have it.

• johnorange
    10 years ago

Since our trees attract so many pollinators, they are great photo subjects. This is a favorite.

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a fantastic snapshot Johnorange! !!. I'm amazed you where able to get that close. Every time I try to take a picture of a butterfly they take off.

Brian

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Brian!! Great pictures, love the butterfly shot!

Here's my Myer's lemon picture from a few years back...hopefully you can see the bee hiding in the background.

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another great shot Puglvr1 . I to have a couple of bee shots . Don't they look interesting when you put the zoom to them. Butterfly's I can't get close enough to take a shot. Must be my good looks that scares them off.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

" Must be my good looks that scares them off"

Orangelime, Ha, ha..I'm sure that's it!

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What ever lived in my apple fruit cocktail tree
    had to have been big. Nice apples but I was to afraid to stick my hand in there.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

That's a really Cool spider web though!! I'm not a big fan but definitely would admire it from afar. Nice picture!! Those apples looks really delicious!!

What zone do you live in...I don't think I can grow Apples like that in FL :o(

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi puglvr1 . TGIF . The weather we have been having this winter is making everybody CRANKY. I live in zone 4b land of eternal snow. Actually I don't mind winter that much any more it's a nice break from watering and taking care of the garden all the time. We have lots of time now just to relax and watch movies and the winter olympics. What part of central Florida do you live in? My parents had a condo for many years in Redington Shores just west of Tampa. We used to go every March for a couple of weeks , I think this is we're I developed my love for citrus trees. We used to go to a place not far from our condo called Orange Blossom what a place that was fresh orange juice and home made orange ice cream cones. I googled them the other night they don't exist anymore all their trees got hit by a citrus disease. This made me sad. They had a huge orchard that we would walk through and being march all the trees were in blossom this memory will stay with me for ever. It's funny after I posted the picture of the spider web I noticed for the first time where he actually lived check out the top branch you will see the spiders nest its huge. It's white a little larger than a golf ball . He must have been supporting a harem in there. This is why I only water when it is bright outside. Have a great weekend.

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

{{gwi:565422}}

This is a pic of my satsuma on Jan 4th, just before the first arctic blast of 11 degrees.

{{gwi:565423}}

This is what it looks like now, after the second arctic blast of 6 degrees. You can see the pineapple guavas in the background were unfazed, as were the windmill palms. the 2 year old washingtonias that came up from seed in the foreground are probably toast.

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no beach bum devastating !!!!! Where in zone 8 do you live ? Don't loose hope , maybe just maybe your satsuma might be still alive near the the ground. Is their any sign of life in the lower part of the tree? Satsuma's are pretty tough and so are Washingtonias . Let's keep are fingers crossed.It is hard to believe it can snow that far south but I guess that's the kind of wacky winter we have been having. I hope you will try again if your tree doesn't make it. The fruit on your tree looked amazing!!

Brian

• orangelime1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Beach bums what I really meant to say Satumas and Washingtonias are pretty tuff. Thank god I am a better gardener than I am a speller.

Brian

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Brian, I probably had a false sense of security here in Virginia Beach because of our mild winters over the past several years. Reality struck back this winter! If the Satsuma survives I'll know I have a winner.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Beach_bums

You can buy very cheap party tents that are floor-less that you can setup over your tree. They come in sizes of up to 15 ft by 15 ft. They will last for decades if just use a few day a year and are easy to set up and store in small spaces. This will greatly increase the lows that a tree can tolerate as well as be heat-able with a light bulb. You're far enough south to grow satsumas safely if you are prepared for this kind of cold snap. My temperature went below 0 F to -11 F for a number of nights so I am building a lean-to greenhouse that would have sailed me through these cold snaps.

This is my favorite picture of my favorite tree. It is a little bit on the anemic side.
    {{gwi:562612}}
    Meiwa kumquat tree grown from seed about 22 months old

To see the techniques used to grow this tree click the link below. this is my, mostly picture with description thread.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/citrus/msg0320572518736.html

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

Thanks Steve, I hadn't thought of tenting my satsumas. I like your citrus growing setup. I started out growing bananas here about twenty years ago and decided, after two years of aggressive protection, that anything I planted would have to fend for itself over the winter. Up until now I've been very successful with palms, citrus, bananas, and guava. This winter has been horrible, not just for low temps, but also for sustained temps below freezing. I have a two man tent we no longer use that would be a perfect shelter next time the temps get stupid here. All I'll have to do is cut out a hole in the bottom and run a light out there. I think the satsuma is definitely worth protecting every once in a few years when we get blasted. Just hope it survives...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Oh Wow Beachbum...SO sorry!! The picture of your Satsuma before the first Arctic freeze is very nice...I had NO idea you can grow Satsuma in-ground your zone! How old is the tree? You had some nice ripe fruits...I hope you were able to enjoy those, I hope your tree recovers...Best of luck!!

Orangelime, I live about 2 hours South of Orlando. Tampa is about 2 hours West of me...

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Beach

Any part of the trunk below the snow line is probably alive and will send out a lot of suckers. If so do not prune any off as the tree will need every leaf can grow the first year to feed the roots and prevent root loss. In the second year you can chose which buds are allowed to grow but don't cut anything off with leaves on it. Having a low to the ground spreading tree is infinitely easier to protect.

Long live your Satsuma

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

This is it's third winter in the ground. The previous low was 14 degrees and it did fine. This winter has been different in that we've had extended periods of below freezing temps. It's 28 degrees here now and tomorrow's high is not expected to break 30. This is the "big one" we've been expecting for years. Guess we'll see what comes through. Ironically, I have a grafted key lime on the unheated front porch that is throwing out a new flush, and it only gets up to about 50 degrees out there on a sunny day.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

That's pretty amazing your tree is in its third year, hopefully the roots are still alive and will come back. Do you have a picture of the whole tree? When did you Satsuma start to produce some fruits...I have one that's been severely stunted by CLMs and I'm trying to nurse it back to health this year...I'm hoping it will grow this spring and summer and fruit next season?

Great news on your Lime tree...please keep us posted!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

Down south you have problems with C.L.M., H.L.B. and all other kinds of nasties. Up north all we seem to have problems is with C.O.L.D. It is real killer. The good thing is that it strikes a quick punch and is gone and the tree either dies or pulls through. I have lost a lot of plants to this silent killer.

Steve

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I feel your pain Steve, C.O.L.D. is definitely a real killer...I had a very large Mango tree hit by a hard freeze in 2010...I cannot believe this tree actually survived :o)...I was very happy!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

2 months after a very hard prune...a slight sign of life

This post was edited by puglvr1 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 14:18

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

The tree today...I'm just waiting for that "next" ax to fall :o(... pushing my zone limits is fun but its always a gamble on what Mother nature has in store next?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Beach, good luck with this last cold front...Please keep us posted on your satsuma...

• Beach_bums
    10 years ago

I checked it out yesterday. Most of last years growth won't make it, but the older wood still looks green and somewhat healthy. No splits in the bark, I just hope all the buds weren't killed off. They've been in the ground since 2010 and have come through 14 degrees without damage. This time it was just too cold for too long.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH