Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mksmth_zone_6b

4 year old lemon seedling blooming

This is one of 2 of my very first citrus trees. I'll let you know how the fruit tastes.

Mike

Comments (10)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

You could never guess how happy I am to hear and see your tree is flowering. I hope it does well for you. I see you started your first trees from seed.

Steve

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I did. I have kept these 2 for the sentimental value. Now I may get to taste the fruit. My others are grafted and blooming like mad so maybe they talked this one into blooming.

Mike

• tantanman
    10 years ago

Do not be alarmed if the very young seedlings lemons fail to set fruit on their first or second bloom. Same for limes.

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Yup, a bloom is not a fruit, much less a mature fruit. I often have young trees that bloom prolifically yet produce not one fruit.

Best of luck anyway.

Some of my early trials with seedling Meyers did not produce the first flower for 4 years; while my grafted trees often have harvestable fruit in 18 months.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I guess its a good thing all my other non seedling trees are in full bloom. I know all the possible issues with seedling trees. Not my first rodeo. I only shared this because I thought it was pretty cool and was intended to be in good fun.

John, Lighten up a bit. "eternal spring" has turned you into a snob.

no wonder I quit posting here. everyone is too damn serious.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    10 years ago

mk

I hear you on the serious side of CFGW. I have caught some real flack on my cynical comments making fun of USA silly or sickening cultures. WHILE CITRUS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE WORLD, it is nothing to get serious about

Steve

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Mike, GREAT job bud! I can't believe that is was from a seed and doing that great for you..NOw, what's the magic ingredient?

I am so proud of you..Keep up the good work...Hopefully your weather has finally turned for the better..Mine still stinks..20's today and winds of 20 miles per hour..Blustery and cold..So tired of it..The only saving grace is the now getting warmer sun against a the wall of a wind protected building..The my greenhouse is getting warmer by day, you probably noticed...That I love.

Mike

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Great pink blooms, Mike!
    Hopefully they'll set fruit.

Josh

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike, Josh.

Mike hope you warm up soon!!

Mike

• GarryGreenfingers
    10 years ago

It is encouraging that your SEED-GROWN lemon is blooming at such a small size! I assumed that a seed-grown fruit tree/shrub would have to mature (and gain much vertical height in the process) before it could bear flowers and fruit. Doesn't pruning (which is obviously a must when growing indoors where vertical height is limited) keep the tree in the juvenile stage, thereby preventing it from becoming capable of flowering and fruiting? I have a 2 year old seed grown 'Primofiore' lemon, which is 6 feet tall and confined to container culture. Its rate of growth is so fast that I have had to root prune it on two occasions (it was so pot bound that the lowermost leaves were starting to yellow and drop off, but since the root prune, the lemon has put out a flush of new growth). My 2 year old 6 feet tall lemon has yet to flower (how tall must it get before it does?). I patiently await...........