Return to the Citrus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen navel orange juice

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 16:12

Navel orange juice contains limonin which turns the juice bitter at some point. Where is that point? After an hour? Six hours? What about freezing?

I'm freezing some navel orange juice in ice cube trays just like I do with lemons. These frozen juice cubes are used later in cocktails or to just add some citrus flavor to water. Am I wasting my time or will quick freezing hold back some or all of the bitterness?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen navel orange juice

I can't help you with the freezing part but I've found that Navel Orange Juice tastes fine for a lot longer than 6 hours. I usually only squeeze enough for that day and part of the next so 24 hours seems to be fine and probably 36. It is definitely bitter after 2-3 days.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:46

GregBradley, good to know the threshold. There just isn't much clear cut info to be had on the subject.

o

Clint,

It isn't the orange that is the problem it is you, the juicer. On navels you have to juice them lightly and avoid the navel end and you won't have that bitterness problem. Try to get 90% of the juice and leave the juice at the ends and voila no bitterness. It is a well known Navel orange issue but easily worked around.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 0:04

Hi citrus people! I'm not getting much feedback on freezing navel orange juice, but wanted to pass along my results. The juice is dog-gone-good so far as ice cubes. I'm squeezing them all the way. My Washington navels have been holding so long that they are tacky to the touch with sweetness. I sampled some ice cubes and I feel like I've been eating candy. It would be an absolute shame if they turned bitter after time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Citrus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here