African Cherry Orange

aussiefan
11 years ago

Post removed.

This post was edited by Aussiefan on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:56

Comments (8)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Aussiefan, we here in the USA would not be able to send you budwood. You'd have to either get certified budwood from UC Riverside's CCPP program (and hopefully they will have some in June for you), or from someone in Australia. Those of us in the USA are not allowed to ship citrus outside the USA, unless we are able to certify the budwood. So, maybe someone from Australia can assist you? Not even sure anyone in Europe could mail you budwood, either, unless their country's agricultural laws would allow that, or Australia's laws will allow for foreign citrus plant materials into Australia without certification?

Patty S.

• aussiefan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Post removed

This post was edited by Aussiefan on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 22:03

• krismast
    11 years ago

Hi Aussiefan,

Thanks for the updated location info. I too thought you lived abroad.

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to a citrus species that I have never heard of before.

Now technically, it is required in almost all states, as far as I know, that incoming shipments of any type of nursery stock used for propagation be inspected and certified by the exporting states agricultural department. This can be a costly process. Which is why UCR is usually the best best for budwood as their budwood comes with phytosanitary certificates. I'm not saying that there haven't been people who get away with it, but it's best not to even try shipping propagative material, especially citrus, illegally. It's a very important crop to this country, and it's not worth endangering it.

Just my two cents

Kristopher

• aussiefan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Post removed

This post was edited by Aussiefan on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 21:58

• krismast
    11 years ago

I must respectfully disagree that "Swapping a few seeds or buds in cold northern states among private collectors presents no more risk to the citrus industry than buying plants by mail or on line." The reason I disagree is because the selling of plants by mail and online is regulated, as far as it can be. Certified nurseries are required to be inspected for disease and pests. The thought that "it won't hurt" is what has led to a lot of diseases and insects being transported across state lines, which has put economies at risk. There's a reason these agricultural laws are "on the books". Yes, it most likely wouldn't cause any problems, but that doesn't mean it can't.

Kristopher

• aussiefan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Post removed

This post was edited by Aussiefan on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 22:00

• krismast
    11 years ago

You don't have to feel bad or anything! And definitely don't have to delete your post! I'm not sure if that's even possible on this forum haha. In fact since you live in zone 4, I'm sure many here would like to see if you have any other citrus in your zone. We always like to see what others have and what they can grow in the cold north!

Kristopher

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Oh dear, Aussiefan I didn't realize you live in Colorado! You are in a non-restricted state, so as long as you are swapping with other non-citrus states, I believe you can still send citrus budwood. Best bet is to check with your local ag office. They can tell you what can be sent to you (as well as what you can send to others).

Patty S.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County