Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

awesome news for us citrus growers!!!

Andrew Scott
12 years ago

Some of you may have read my post a little while back about how I bought a Meyer and Navel citrus trees. I live in western NY, and every year around this time, the owner of Potratz, in Erie Pa, goes to FL to a tropical plant conference. He brings back many awesome tropicals including citrus, and some gorgeous orchids.

Anyhow, him and I were talking about how this citrus ban has really put a hurting on the mail order nurseries. He was telling me that while he was in Florida, he was talking with some citrus growers and they told him that this ban may be lifted very soon! Wouldn't that be amazing!!

If I am on the hunt for citrus, I try to hold off until I can go to Potratz and buy them. They are very reasonably priced and the trees are in great condition. However, if your looking for specific varieties, you may not find them.

Maybe some of the FL members here can shed some light on this ban being lifted. If I here anything more, I will keep you all posted. I plan on being in FL this July. I am hoping that the ban will be over by then.

Andrew

Comments (9)

• venusruiz
    12 years ago

Hi,

I got my first Meyer Lemon tree from my nursery here in Maryland, first shipment since Florida quarentine all its citrus. Im really excited, it's a really small dwarf tree,looks more like a bush than a tree, but it's a florida lemon tree, yuppy!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Boy, Andrew, I'd be very interesting in hearing more about the ban being lifted. Especially considering Texas is now under an emergency quarantine down in Hildalgo County for Citrus Greening. This would be pretty surprising, but certainly great for us hobby growers. I wonder if any of our Florida forum members might have more info on this?

Patty S.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys should visit this website mycitrus.com. There is a ton of info on citrus greening, and canker. I also want to add that I am not saying that there is going to be a lift on the ban, I just was told that there may be a lift coming...BUT WOULDNT THAT BE AWESOME IF IT WERE TRUE!!!

Andrew

• bamboo_rabbit
    12 years ago

Because all the commercial growers now have to grow the young trees in greenhouses with forced ventilation the growers hope that the quarantine will be lifted...far as I have heard that is just hope.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    12 years ago

Andrew, I think you might mean http://www.mycitrustree.com/, which is Record Buck Farms' web site and it is a great site for Florida citrus growers, especially home/hobby growers. And bamboo, my foggy brain also now recalls that during my citrus class last weekend, we talked about this, actually. I think it's a little more than just hope. I think this might actually be on the table for consideration. According to Tom Shea, Florida has done such an outstanding job in controlling both canker and HLB that the USDA is considering re-evaluating the quarantine. Would surely be a great thing for tree growers in Florida, no doubt!

Patty S.

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

Well ill be in Tampa in june. If they do lift the ban im renting a uhaul and loading it up. LOL.

Mike

• greyghost61
    12 years ago

I was coming back from Orlando a few weeks ago and as is my habit, I like to stop at tourist traps along the Interstate. Ofcourse, everyone one of them were offering citrus trees for sale, I asked at every store about the ban, and to a person they said "what ban." I wonder how many trees have made it up the interstate that weren't supposed to.

• trianglejohn
    12 years ago

I heard that the lifting was on the ban for Florida gardeners growing citrus on their property - not on the interstate traffic of plants. Evidently there were strong laws in place stopping people from planting citrus trees if they were within certain commercial citrus growing locations. It was explained to me that the ag folks had determined that the diseases were too well established across Florida and that banning the backyard grower had no effect on stopping the spread. I'm not sure any of this will mean anything to people wanting to buy citrus trees outside of Florda.

• greyghost61
    12 years ago

I was coming back from Orlando a few weeks ago and as is my habit, I like to stop at tourist traps along the Interstate. Ofcourse, everyone one of them were offering citrus trees for sale, I asked at every store about the ban, and to a person they said "what ban." I wonder how many trees have made it up the interstate that weren't supposed to.